Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to start an argument just trying to understand what works best. Fairly new to welding still working through my process and preferences.

I'm replacing body mounts on my 99 TJ these are the ones on the body that attach to the frame mounts. I purchased a repair kit that spans that area.

Since this is underneath and subject to all the mud / snow / rain possible I was planning on using primer. The more I read though it sounds like it could impact the weld strength.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Weld threw primer is used mainly for body panels where a plug weld would be. An area where rust can start with out any coating on it(between the panels). If it's just metal to metal weld it's not needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unless it's a body panel or a place where you won't be able to get to afterwards. The rule of thumb is the cleaner the better when it comes to metal. And it's better to have the material ground instead of sanded the cleaner the metal the better the weld.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.