Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an '04 WJ with a 2 inch Rough Country lift. Bought it in 2017, seller said he got the lift in 2016 so it's been about 6 years since the install. It's unfortunately time to replace the rear** stock upper control A-arm and ball joint/mount. While looking into how to do this job on YouTube university, I also read that spacers for between the ball joint mount and the top of the diff exist. However, everyone I read about has a 2.5/3/4+ inch lift. What do you guys say? I see one on KOR for like 95 bucks that's 2.25 inches, I think I saw another that's 2inch somewhere else. Is this really necessary? It made it 19 years with the last 6 on a lift using the original setup.

This job already looks like it's going to suck and I just don't want to do it twice if I can help it. However saving 100+ bucks right now would be super nice as the V8 in this thing is killing my gas budget with prices as high as they are. Any advice is appreciated 馃憤

Registered
If you are talking about the rear upper A arm and the previous owner did a 2" lift there's probably no spacer. Anything above that lift does, along with a bunch of other parts. You can get a new upper A arm from Rock Auto or almost any parts house. And, yes the top bolts suck to work on, but it's not a bad job to do.

Registered
This job already looks like it's going to suck and I just don't want to do it twice if I can help it. However saving 100+ bucks right now would be super nice as the V8 in this thing is killing my gas budget with prices as high as they are. Any advice is appreciated 馃憤
I didn't do it on my 04 for precisely your reason: going to suck. I couldn't afford to have the vehicle laid up because of needed additional parts, plus I didn't have use of a lift. The local garage charged me $60 - It was a no brainer. The mechanic confirmed that the job 'did suck'....to each their own.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are talking about the rear upper A arm and the previous owner did a 2" lift there's probably no spacer. Anything above that lift does, along with a bunch of other parts. You can get a new upper A arm from Rock Auto or almost any parts house. And, yes the top bolts suck to work on, but it's not a bad job to do.
I just realized I didn't specify I was talking about the rear but you are correct and that's exactly where I got the new parts from. Gotta love Rock Auto. And yeah there's no spacer now I just didn't know if the old owner didn't put one in during the lift install because he didn't know any better like me or what but as another poster confirmed, 2 inches doesn't seem to need a spacer. Thanks for the reply, appreciate it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't do it on my 04 for precisely your reason: going to suck. I couldn't afford to have the vehicle laid up because of needed additional parts, plus I didn't have use of a lift. The local garage charged me $60 - It was a no brainer. The mechanic confirmed that the job 'did suck'....to each their own.
Yeah I bet they regretted that quote as soon as they put that thing in the air and saw the space they had to work with lol Good deal though, I might check out a couple shops just to see what they say, cash is tight right now unfortunately. Thanks for the reply

Registered
I never see anyone using separating the joint from the arm first, using the method of wedging a chunk of wood on the tip of the arm down to the ground so that rear end is hanging from it then whacking with a pickle fork. Seems like it would work pretty well to me. Am I the only one that has seen it done that way?

Registered
I never see anyone using separating the joint from the arm first, using the method of wedging a chunk of wood on the tip of the arm down to the ground so that rear end is hanging from it then whacking with a pickle fork. Seems like it would work pretty well to me. Am I the only one that has seen it done that way?
I pulled the joint (and it's plate) off the arm the last two times I did it.

Good, bad, or indifferent, it worked.

If the Jeep is still around in another 100k, maybe I'll give your method a shot.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts