Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Today I removed about a quart and a half of trans fluid - last year I had dropped the pan and changed filter - the fluid still looks a bit dark and might have some light metal color - but that might just be air from my great $15 pump. (See video & photos) I also have just bought some Lucas "no slip" trans fix fluid - but I might not add that. What do you think?

Once in a while I may have gotten a bit of a kick just when starting off from a stop sign - but as of late it has been shifting really great! Should I just put back new clean ATF+4 and wait on additives? ...or should I dump in the 24 ounces of Lucas Magic?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
Button it back up and see if it still leaks or foams up as described in the previous post.
For fluid that dark, I think I would extract all of it, today then add back new fluid and then do that again after a few days of normal use.

Reactions: Mattimus_LV

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Button it back up and see if it still leaks or foams up as described in the previous post.
For fluid that dark, I think I would extract all of it, today then add back new fluid and then do that again after a few days of normal use.
It looks lighter in the hose - did you see the youtube? Here is a still photo. What color is your trans fluid? Is mine burnt or is it just still dirt from having only changed it the one time last year?

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
only used that Lucas in a 700r once that was on its last day. slipping. did the filter and oil added the Lucas. trans worked rather well for as long as the car was needed. But i would not unless its a pull and rebuild or try this for a few bucks,,,
I will return the Lucas - haha

·
Mopar Nut
402 Posts
Mine is nice and pink, with about 25k/18mo on it. Honestly looks new. And as I've mentioned many times here, I beat the living snot out of her. Yours does not look so hot, especially after only 1yr. I am no transmission expert, but that would concern me. I would at very least be dropping the pan and checking the magnet...

I have used Lucas Trans fix, Trans X, and many more of the wide array of auto-magical elixirs out there. Even head gaskets and rear mains in a can. They have all had varying degrees of success, and indeed have bought me some time/miles. K-Seal Head Gasket Repair got me home from 1800mi away in a slant 6 '80 LeBaron. Even still had compression after I got home, and I sold that heap for $300!! However that car and all the other recipients of misc unicorn dust were also total rot bucket pavement pounders not worthy of fixing....

Reactions: Mattimus_LV

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh no...I think I may be using the wrong type of Trans fluid! I also own a 2004 Chrysler Concorde - and that takes only MOPAR ATF+4 trans fluid.... but from what I now see online - my 2003 WJ does not use that! It just uses ATF fluid. Does it matter that I used ATF+4 when the drained 4 quarts to change the transmission filter? If so - how bad is this? What should I do?

Any advice?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
Mine is bright red. Changed it easily 3 years ago. I beat the snot out of it. Tow heavy stuff, lots of WOT time and occasional triple digit visits. 158K miles. I also do endurance racing and have no problem driving for 8 hours in a day.
Swapped the filter in it once. Put on a pan with a drain when I changed it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no...I think I may be using the wrong type of Trans fluid! I also own a 2004 Chrysler Concorde - and that takes only MOPAR ATF+4 trans fluid.... but from what I now see online - my 2003 WJ does not use that! It just uses ATF fluid. Does it matter that I used ATF+4 when the drained 4 quarts to change the transmission filter? If so - how bad is this? What should I do?

Any advice?
Btw -- here is a photo of what my trans fluid looks like from dipstick on a paper towel - likely only has 5,000 miles on it since I changed filter and removed and added 5 quarts of ATF+4. it likely had not been changed in a long time or maybe ever... I bought it in 2020 with 120,000 it has maybe 130,000 on it now.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
WJ's use ATF+4 as well, I've had both transmissions the 44RE in my 3.1TD and 545RFE in my HO and the handbook said ATF+4 only for both of them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WJ's use ATF+4 as well, I've had both transmissions the 44RE in my 3.1TD and 545RFE in my HO and the handbook said ATF+4 only for both of them.
Great - Thanks!

I checked and I have the 42RE - will ATF+4 still work?

If the ATF+4 works, then I think I should just keep draining out as much as I can and then refill with fresh. When I bought this WJ - the trans fluid had likely never been changed - so never in 125,000 miles. Since I added 5 quarts to the remaining 9 quarts of old dark fluid 5,000 miles ago - it is now still pretty dark. (please see attached photo) If I keep doing this at 5,000 mile intervals it should hopefully keep getting redder - in 5,000 more miles I will again change out that new filter.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
When you drop the pan to service the fluid, you only get about 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid in the system out. You end up adding new fluid to the old fluid still in the torque convertor, trans cooler and various nooks and crannys inside your trans. This will make your new fluid look dark and dirty almost immediately. Its not a good scenario, but it is how its been for decades with trans services. the only way to get all the old fluid out, is to flush the system. And if you havent been flushing the system regularly since the vehicle was new, then sometimes flushing will cause trans damage soooooo...... The best thing for you to do now, would be to pump all the fluid out you can (as stated previously) and refill with new. Then run it a little bit, then do it again. Keep doing it until you get the color of fluid you like(i personally dont HATE your fluid color now, but it is on the dark side). Then just run the vehicle knowing you have done all you can do at this point.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.... The best thing for you to do now, would be to pump all the fluid out you can (as stated previously) and refill with new. Then run it a little bit, then do it again. Keep doing it until you get the color of fluid you like(i personally dont HATE your fluid color now, but it is on the dark side). Then just run the vehicle knowing you have done all you can do at this point.
Great - that is what I am now doing! I am going to get some ATF+4 fluid at Walmart ASAP since AdvanceAuto only has FRAM for $9 a quart and who knows who really makes that....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you add an inline filter to the transmission? Or while we are talking - how about also the power steering? They sell magnetic and non magnetic filters for these tasks - but where would I install them? Here are pictures...

Font Automotive tire Engineering Gas Auto part
Circuit component Font Electronic device Cylinder Technology

·
Mopar Nut
402 Posts
The transmission already has 2, or at least the 545RFE does. The pickup filter, and a 2nd spin on filter from the cooler return line. In regards to the PS, I recently installed one like you pictured. More specifically:

Jury is still out - I never installed one before, but I suspect I am losing my steering gear and the pump is only a few months old. I can say in addition to the magnet, it must not have much more than a screen in it (really all I needed anyway) as there was ZERO resistance when I blew through it prior to installation. I added it in hopes of saving the pump while the steering gear dies. As long as it drives/steers/shifts, she is out of the shop until spring. My other cars have taken up winter residence in my shop space - only a Jeep emergency will warrant their removal!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! Where did you install you PS filter? As much detail as you can give. I am thinking of doing one on my 4.0l 2003 WJ Laredo and also on my 2004 Chrysler Concorde Limited. The car needs it more. The Power Steering rack has been replaced twice and sounds like someone is sucking on a Slurpee for the first 5 minutes - but then is quiet. Fluid is ATF+4 as called for - and looks new - but it has a few tiny black blobs floating in it.

·
Mopar Nut
402 Posts
I put it on the return line just below the reservoir - it is the lowest nipple on the pump, literally underneath the reservoir. I did have to cut some line out, as the added length of the filter (It was much larger than I expected) had it rubbing on something - I think it was rubbing the upper tie rod end adjusting sleeve. So there is maybe 3" of 3/8 line on the the reservoir, the filter, and the factory line that remained after I cut it (the portion with the bends molded into it). I ordered a replacement return line too so I can have an uncut one one the shelf (52088918AD, mine is anyway - I have the hydraulic cooling fan). 3/8" fuel line would do, but I prefer the molded bends of the OEM line....

·
Mopar Nut
402 Posts
Fluid is ATF+4 as called for - and looks new - but it has a few tiny black blobs floating in it.
IDK about your Concorde or the '03 4.0. But my '04 4.7 with the hydraulic fan is sensitive to the right fluid. She can foam up and complain with a squeal with the wrong fluid. Ma Mopar calls for p/n 04883077 or equivalent with a MS5931 spec. I use AMSOIL PS fluid now, but had luck with Redline as well....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks - good info Mr Bitey. I saw a youtube that said some Honda's have an o-ring on the return line where it bolts onto the PS pump - and these get hard and shrink allowing air into system - do WJ's have anything like this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts