Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the near future, I am going to ditch the worn out 4" lift the PO had and drop down to a 2", which I think will be plenty with 32s.

Thinking ahead, what do I need to remove/replace from the 4" lift that would not come in a 2" lift kit.

Transfer case drop - remove
Dropped pitman arm - replace
Axle shims - remove
Sway bars - replace

I plan to replace the spring plates too, just because they are rusty.

What am I missing?

When I raise the transfer case/tranny, is there anything I need to worry about clearance wise ( I am assuming the engine will come up some too)

Not sure what lift I am going to go with, but have heard to stay away from Rough Country.

Any suggestions in that department are also appreciated.

·
Registered
23,719 Posts
A complete lift kit should have everything you need, or you can piece it together. The 2.5" OME YJ springs are very popular. That's what I'm running with 32"s. My install thread is in my signature line. It includes several good parts lists.

I used factory length CJ shackles (3" hole to hole), and found that a drop pitman arm wasn't necessary. I also used the factory sway bar links. 4 degree shims in front and 2 degree in the rear. No transmission cross-member drop, nor body lift.

If your 4" lift was done correctly, the brake lines should be longer than factory, which is fine. Just make sure you don't get any pinching or crimping.

Other than that, it should be a fairly straight forward swap. There are a few nuances involved in putting the wider YJ springs on the front of a CJ, but they are well documented and not difficult.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,199 Posts
2" lift is plenty for 32" tires and they fit the wheel well very well as if they belong there the whole time.

Definitely get rid of the drop pitman arm. You may want to do a drag link flip, but not necessary.

Shims up front to keep the castor angle where it's needed. I don't have rear shims, even though my OME springs came with them, I removed them and used them in the front. They are 3°.

Shocks. Good hydro shocks unless you find a gas shock designed for the Jeep CJ. Most of the gas shocks out there are way too stiff for the light weight CJ.

Parts list for my OME 2.5" Lift: Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

·
Registered
15 Posts
In the near future, I am going to ditch the worn out 4" lift the PO had and drop down to a 2", which I think will be plenty with 32s.

Thinking ahead, what do I need to remove/replace from the 4" lift that would not come in a 2" lift kit.

Axle shims - remove
Sway bars - replace

What am I missing?

When I raise the transfer case/tranny, is there anything I need to worry about clearance wise ( I am assuming the engine will come up some too)

Not sure what lift I am going to go with, but have heard to stay away from Rough Country.

I've run stock suspensions on all my CJs. One I had to remove a lift. I've been able to run 33s with no problems and 35s with minimal rubbing.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Axle shims - remove
Sway bars - replace

What am I missing?

Engine / Transmission tilt should be in the 5 degree range. That is the rear of the assembly tilted down 5 degrees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would ask around for what gives a good ride mine are way too stiff. I put a 2.5 to3 RC lift which came with shocks on a 73 cj5 with a glass tub and it rides like a tractor.
Any short arm lift is going to ride like a old dump truck. I strongly suggest you get a long arm lift kit for the front and 4 link upper trianglulated for the rear so you can eliminate the track bar and haul *** through the rough .

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
I would ask around for what gives a good ride mine are way too stiff. I put a 2.5 to3 RC lift which came with shocks on a 73 cj5 with a glass tub and it rides like a tractor.
Rough Country is exactly that . It is appropriately named. I'm not familiar with lifts that are available for your 73. The springs are shorter than later (76-86) models and that will affect the ride . Further, your glass tub is probably lighter than a stock steel body so that doesn't help the situation. Hanging a spare tire on the back helps a bit.
Edit: You can try removing a leaf from each spring pack. It makes a difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts