Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Jeep Cj5 OEM AMC 304
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
I’m in a pinch for time and am wondering if any of the gurus here can help me get some stuff ordered to get it here this weekend and I’m slammed at work. Sorry to abuse your knowledge.
I have a 78 cj5 with a Dana 30 front end.
it has disc brakes from a later model D-30 1983 seems to be the year pipping into my head.
I need to order new spindles, wheel bearings, hubs, rotors, all seals and some new warn hubs for fun.
I have the 6 bolt warn hubs.
I am looking for the correct spindles, Timkin bearings and seals, hubs and rotors. I also new wheel bearing nuts and washers- everything from the axle out except calipers.
I know I ran into trouble with the diameter of the brake rotor 20 years ago. Wondering if anybody knows the two sizes they offered and what they actually measure at. I wanna say there was a 10 or 11” rotor, I can’t remember which I have but I know I ended up with the wrong ones last one I was through here 20 years ago.
I also am going to get ball joints not sure what brand anybody recommends.
Edit- I also need a 2-1/8 axle nut socket. Anybody got one they like?

pic for fun- not science.
Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can't help with the brakes but moog makes an ball joint with the grease zerk that comes out the side so it is more easily accessible for greasing. I bought a set but haven't had the time to install them yet

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't help with the brakes but moog makes an ball joint with the grease zerk that comes out the side so it is more easily accessible for greasing. I bought a set but haven't had the time to install them yet
1 down- thanks!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kinda dialing in in this: it’s all new and easier to document.
Rectangle Automotive tire Font Slope Pattern

This is from the Jeep guy who I keep coming back to in my research.
Im guessing but will verify my existing proportioning valve will work as it’s been replaced as a disc/drum setup by me along the way.
so I think I’m down to a set of locking hubs, new backing plate/ dust covers and spindles. This site also sells the socket.

here’s the link to the site below.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wondering if anybody knows the two sizes they offered and what they actually measure at. I wanna say there was a 10 or 11” rotor, I can’t remember which I have but I know I ended up with the wrong ones last one I was through here 20 years ago.
i think the size difference was actually in rotor thickness, something like 7/8" vs 1 1/8".

Reactions: MrCamo

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think the size difference was actually in rotor thickness, something like 7/8" vs 1 1/8".
Thanks- I read that too. I think I was crossing up between old memories of both rear and front brake pains.

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
There are two designs of front rotor, one for 5 bolts in the flange, one with 6. Is this what you recall (item 8)?

Font Line Rectangle Auto part Parallel

• Love
Reactions: MrCamo

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are two designs of front rotor, one for 5 bolts in the flange, one with 6. Is this what you recall (item 8)?
6 bolt- here’s some pics.
Gas Wood Auto part Metal Circle

Hand Camera lens Auto part Metal Circle

Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
I was thinking a 6 bolt wheel hub flange to match your 6 bolt WARN lockouts and the rotor is from your age of CJ5, this is the spec for 1978.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Electric blue

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel

A 1981 rotor is thinner, are you sure you put on later brakes?

NDIX PRT1257 Specifications
StyleFull Cast
TypeDisc Only
DesignVented
Studs5
Supplied Stud (IN)No
Outside Diameter (IN)11.75
Nom Thk (IN)0.875
Min Thk (IN)0.815
Bolt Circle (IN)5.5
Overall Height (IN)2.188

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking that was a 1981 6 bolt wheel hub to match your 6 bolt WARN lockouts but the rotor is from an earlier CJ7, this is the spec for 1977.

View attachment 4154880

A 1981 rotor is thinner:
NDIX PRT1257 Specifications
StyleFull Cast
TypeDisc Only
DesignVented
Studs5
Supplied Stud (IN)No
Outside Diameter (IN)11.75
Nom Thk (IN)0.875
Min Thk (IN)0.815
Bolt Circle (IN)5.5
Overall Height (IN)2.188
OD IS 11.75 on mine,
Product Wood Font Material property Cross

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks btw

·
Registered
1977,Jeep CJ7, AMC 360
161 Posts
So if you have spindles that came off of it, they will work with the 6 bolt hub. Spindles are the same from 77-86. With a later model axle you will need the brake caliper bracket AND the caliper. Calipers are different. Then you will need the thin rotor (later Model).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome guys-
I’ll go through this tomorrow am and get back with ya. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to be clear-
The Jeep was converted to disc and I want to get the same parts again if possible. It looks to be all Jeep parts.
Based on the help provided from you guys:
I will buy new spindles with spindle bearings etc for a 77-86 “cj”
I will buy new thick rotors, hopefully loaded onto the hubs with Timkin bearings and races pre pressed (for a little less work) does anybody have a good source for or a year to reference for these?
I will buy a set of brake pads for a 1983 cj5- does this sound right?
I will buy two upper and two lower Moog Ball Joints
I’ll probably keep the warm hubs for a bit unless I can’t take bolting on old stuff over new.

does that all make sense?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry if somebody spelled this out for me already. I’m at max mental band-width in general right now…… you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
1977,Jeep CJ7, AMC 360
161 Posts
Just to be clear-
The Jeep was converted to disc and I want to get the same parts again if possible. It looks to be all Jeep parts.
Based on the help provided from you guys:
I will buy new spindles with spindle bearings etc for a 77-86 “cj”
I will buy new thick rotors, hopefully loaded onto the hubs with Timkin bearings and races pre pressed (for a little less work) does anybody have a good source for or a year to reference for these?
I will buy a set of brake pads for a 1983 cj5- does this sound right?
I will buy two upper and two lower Moog Ball Joints
I’ll probably keep the warm hubs for a bit unless I can’t take bolting on old stuff over new.

does that all make sense?
I'll make this simple. Order all parts for a 1978 CJ7 with disk brakes including pads. Everything you have IS correct for a 78. Now for a loaded hub, I am unsure where you will find one from big name stores.

What is the reason for replacing the spindle and hub? Just ease of install? Be careful of the China remakes.

For ball joints, I would suggest Precision ball joints. NOTE: The upper ball joint has a sleeve in the axle for alignment, try not to mess with it.
For bearings, I would suggest timkin or national. Same with seals. If the 2 hub nuts and washer are beat up then I would replace them and get the socket for them. Follow all instructions for installing hubs unless you know how to do it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll make this simple. Order all parts for a 1978 CJ7 with disk brakes including pads. Everything you have IS correct for a 78. Now for a loaded hub, I am unsure where you will find one from big name stores.

What is the reason for replacing the spindle and hub? Just ease of install? Be careful of the China remakes.

For ball joints, I would suggest Precision ball joints. NOTE: The upper ball joint has a sleeve in the axle for alignment, try not to mess with it.
For bearings, I would suggest timkin or national. Same with seals. If the 2 hub nuts and washer are beat up then I would replace them and get the socket for them. Follow all instructions for installing hubs unless you know how to do it.
I was gonna order new spindles as one inner race is super loose and the other spun/seized. I was gonna look at Yukon etc once I figured all this out.
I figured new hubs because everything is rusted up and it would be easier to prep and paint them.
Same with the warn locking hubs, I want nice new stuff on there, might wait for new ones until I get other priorities on the Jeep “hammered” out.
I planned on new nuts and washers for sure- thanks for the help.
I don’t mind cleaning up the old stuff if I can’t find a quality replacement, but it’s actually pretty simple stuff so even napa may have good options.
I don’t mind pressing the bearings, just like the idea of a little plug and play (with checking others work it may not me a time saver anyway)

·
Registered
1977,Jeep CJ7, AMC 360
161 Posts
I was gonna order new spindles as one inner race is super loose and the other spun/seized. I was gonna look at Yukon etc once I figured all this out.
I figured new hubs because everything is rusted up and it would be easier to prep and paint them.
Same with the warn locking hubs, I want nice new stuff on there, might wait for new ones until I get other priorities on the Jeep “hammered” out.
I planned on new nuts and washers for sure- thanks for the help.
I don’t mind cleaning up the old stuff if I can’t find a quality replacement, but it’s actually pretty simple stuff so even napa may have good options.
I don’t mind pressing the bearings, just like the idea of a little plug and play (with checking others work it may not me a time saver anyway)
That is all fully understandable. Start looking around at stores for prices and parts, That is what will dictate your direction. I do know here in central Oregon Napa, Oreillys, and carquest do not list the hub or rotor/hub. Funny thing I just went through this issue about 3 weeks ago after receiving a crown hub that was not round.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts