Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dipstick Accuracy

1330 22
Whenever I first pull the dipstick the oil level always shows low but if I replace the dipstick and withdraw it again, the level is too high. If I leave the car for an hour or so then check the level again, it still reads too high.
If I check it at daily intervals, on the first pull of the dipstick it always reads low, on second and subsequent pulls it always reads high.
Just to be safe I added 2 litres of oil but after leaving the levels to settle overnight, I still reads low on the first pull.

Even though the cars not due for an oil change, I plan to drain it off and fit a new filter, then fill up to the manufacturers specification.

Has anybody else experienced this weird problem?
Reactions: Bigboss73
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would never add a quart just to satisfy the dipstick. If you change the oil yourself and you use the recommended amount (7.7 or 8 quarts in your case) wherever the oil level is on the dipstick, then that is your full line. Remember that or write it down, and use that as your indicator for full. Just my opinion

·
Registered
254 Posts
I find on my V8 that if I let it sit for about 20 minutes after I shut it off, I can pull the dipstick out and get a good reading (shows the same on both sides of the dipstick, with no gaps). If I wipe it off and re-insert it, it is difficult to get a reading due to the oil that is now on the walls of the dipstick tube.
I can see that happening, that's a great point.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hear what you're saying Willy. I just can't get the early WK2 hemi dipstick fiasco out of my head. Everyone was adding oil to bring up the level on the dipstick and in effect over filling the crankcase, only because the incorrect dipstick was installed on the assembly line.

If I could find the absolute correct spec in the service manual or owners manual I personally would use that as my fill level/amount. I think finding the correct spec is the whole issue here.

I seem to remember cars in the 70s, 80s and 90s dipsticks always seemed to be spot on with a complete oil change. between oil changes you could actually tell if you needed to add a half quart or full quart. What the hell happened. Why is it so difficult now.

The dipstick in my 19 hemi is a joke. It's just a little section of somewhat flat metal on the flex cable. I just make sure that there's oil on the flat area and don't stress over it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.