Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I first pull the dipstick the oil level always shows low but if I replace the dipstick and withdraw it again, the level is too high. If I leave the car for an hour or so then check the level again, it still reads too high.
If I check it at daily intervals, on the first pull of the dipstick it always reads low, on second and subsequent pulls it always reads high.
Just to be safe I added 2 litres of oil but after leaving the levels to settle overnight, I still reads low on the first pull.

Even though the cars not due for an oil change, I plan to drain it off and fit a new filter, then fill up to the manufacturers specification.

Has anybody else experienced this weird problem?

·
Registered
493 Posts
When you pull the dipstick up it leaves a film of oil on the tube. That's why you see a different reading the first time you do it vs subsequent checks. Mine does the same thing. If you study the back of the dipstick you'll probably see patches of no oil where the front looks completely wet. That false wet area on the front is what makes it look like it is overfilled.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You need to be careful if you have added 2 litres of oil without knowing what the actual level was, too much oil can blow seals and break emission control systems.

I would suggest you drain the oil and measure how much comes out. Then refill based on the recommended capacity for your engine, if you are not swapping the filter the recommended fill capacity will be over by about a pint but that shouldn't be an issue....and check you have the correct dipstick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need to be careful if you have added 2 litres of oil without knowing what the actual level was, too much oil can blow seals and break emission control systems.

I would suggest you drain the oil and measure how much comes out. Then refill based on the recommended capacity for your engine, if you are not swapping the filter the recommended fill capacity will be over by about a pint but that shouldn't be an issue....and check you have the correct dipstick.
Yes Bilko,about the only option - Also it is 1 litre between low and high - so if adding go 500ml per top up , wait and re check.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What engine do you have and how many miles are on the clock? the V6 and V8s don't typically use much oil even at higher mileages....unless you have an obvious leak. The 3.0 diesels can use some oil when new but usually, this stops after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What engine do you have and how many miles are on the clock? the V6 and V8s don't typically use much oil even at higher milages....unless you have an obvious leak. The 3.0 diesels can use some oil when new but usually, this stops after a few thousand miles.
I have the 3.0 litre diesel. Oil consumption isn't the problem, it's the dipstick reading that's the problem.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,537 Posts
No low oil level light, thats an Audi/VW thing. They make quite a few engines notorious for burning oil and need to warn drivers, otherwise warranty claims go through the roof. :) .

·
Registered
678 Posts
No low oil level light, thats an Audi/VW thing. They make quite a few engines notorious for burning oil and need to warn drivers, otherwise warranty claims go through the roof. :) .
Also a GM thing as well - my two GM vehicles have it:

“CHECK OIL LEVEL
On some vehicles, this message displays and two chimes sound if the oil level in the vehicle is low.”

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,537 Posts
So GM is making oil burners now? :)

I think its suppose to be a error/fault warning, not for routine use. But my daughter, and many others, don't check the oil level. They just throw a quart in when the light goes on. I'm a little concerned about trusting a little sensor for this..... but that may just be me. Wonder how many engine bearings get spun becouse the sensor goes out.

Reactions: 2014RedHemiGC

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The VW/Audi/Porsche Diesel engines were notorious for burning oil when new but after a few thousand miles when all the components have bedded in, the oil consumption was minimal. This is the same with AMV diesel engines used in Jeeps. The difference in Europe is that manufacturers cannot sell a vehicle that requires an oil change every 5,000 miles, it's not considered Green enough. Most EU VWs have 20,000km / 2 Year oil change schedules or when the service light comes on, this means they need to monitor for low oil levels between oil changes The same vehicles in the US have much shorter oil change intervals, and as result, owners are unlikely to ever see the low oil level warning.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,537 Posts
Learn something new every day :) I've read that green enough is one reason manufactures put lifetime oil life on things like transmissions, where ZF recommends changing the oil every 80,000 miles more or less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 3.0 litre diesel. Oil consumption isn't the problem, it's the dipstick reading that's the problem.
I AGREE! Reading the oil level in my 2015 WK2 EcoDiesel is the more difficult than any other vehicle I have owned over the last 45 years.

The only time I can get a consistent reading is at room temperature after the Jeep has sat on a level surface overnight. After that first dipstick reading, it is impossible for me to get a clean dipstick reading. I have read people suggesting to VERY SLOWLY insert and remove the dipstick to get a reading. I have had zero luck when trying that.

Like you, my dipstick reads low when I measure after sitting overnight. It measures right at the "MIN" level (see below). I have no oil consumption issues and the reading remains consistent between oil changes. I am certain it has the specified 8-quarts (7.7 liters) since I change the oil myself.

My dipstick has "100F" stamped on the same side at the MIN and MAX levels. I have assumed that is the temperature for those levels. 100F is about the temp of my garage here in Texas. Like you, I have considered adding an additional quart/liter of oil.

Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Eyewear Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would never add a quart just to satisfy the dipstick. If you change the oil yourself and you use the recommended amount (7.7 or 8 quarts in your case) wherever the oil level is on the dipstick, then that is your full line. Remember that or write it down, and use that as your indicator for full. Just my opinion

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,537 Posts
The problem folks seem to be having is that there is a big difference to what shows on the dipstick between a cold engine and after the engine has been running for awhile and hours later. Simply checking twice seems to pull enough oil up the dipstick tube to confuse the reading. So you know where the fill level should be very cold as thats the level of your fill... but what about later. IAW, how do you get a accurate/close enough indication short of waiting overnight and then getting it right on the first try? . Perhaps todays thinner oil may have something to do with it.

I guess I've not noticed this issue because I check only when the engine is cold. That alows the oil to drain and settle to a consistent level, short any loss.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I find on my V8 that if I let it sit for about 20 minutes after I shut it off, I can pull the dipstick out and get a good reading (shows the same on both sides of the dipstick, with no gaps). If I wipe it off and re-insert it, it is difficult to get a reading due to the oil that is now on the walls of the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I find on my V8 that if I let it sit for about 20 minutes after I shut it off, I can pull the dipstick out and get a good reading (shows the same on both sides of the dipstick, with no gaps). If I wipe it off and re-insert it, it is difficult to get a reading due to the oil that is now on the walls of the dipstick tube.
I can see that happening, that's a great point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts