Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
381 - 384 of 384 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
I would just like to say that whoever told me (years ago) that the steering stabilizer was "just a Band-Aid", which caused me to avoid replacing after my "needle in a haystack" search for wobbling issues, that I decided to go against that advice and try it, once again. Hasn't wobbled in 2-3 years. I've definitely learned no two cases are the same, so while I understood what this individual was saying, in my case, the steering stabilizer was extremely helpful. Just a random comment on my experience. Lol.
This is the perfect post for me to chime in on. I have not read the tread and do not care to. People are clueless on Death Wobble. Especially on the TJ forum. People state that the stabilizer is the band aid but yet people have over and over cured their wobble for 100 to 150k miles plus on the highway in the real world with this simple fix.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am not having death wobble, but some serious shimmy, seems from the rear area- I am about 95% sure it's warn control arm bushings, just got the prothane bushings in- going to see if it causes problems- its a very, very disconcerting problem, not like the death wobble ( I have had that mostly on WJs and ZJs so far, my TJ had it for a very short time before I replaced all ball joints, shocks, steering stabilizer, all of which were bad at the time) - but this shimmy, especially going downhill when letting off the gas, is pretty fing scary all by itself! - Oh- its a 98 TJ, 4inch lift, 33" x 12.5x15s on it. Tires in good shape with good pressure.

·
Retired
72,529 Posts
A shimmy/Death Wobble needs something to provide the "power" to cause things to shake and shimmy. A passive stationary component like a bad bushing cannot, by itself, cause a shake or shimmy. The usual cause is nothing more than an imperfectly balanced or a bad tire. They spin so if something is wrong with a tire that problem will cause a shake or shimmy. Understand that tire shops are not guaranteed to get tires balanced well enough to eliminate such shimmies and vibrations. I had to take my TJ with its 35" tires to my local Discount Tire store THREE times in one day before they finally figured out they had to spend the time to get them balanced right. The third time was the charm. The first two trips there left me with a bad shimmy that was ready to develop into full-blown Death Wobble.

381 - 384 of 384 Posts