Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my dashboard from Double D Fabrication. What a work of art! Polished stainless so it looks like a mirror. Important feature is that they were able to move the glove box inward to clear the roll cage, and this piece features an extra bend on the top so that when using a Wrangler tub you can just cut the slots in for the CJ defroster. As you know the stock dash does not have this extra fold. AWESOME and worth the wait

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Hood

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Hood

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Looks really good.

I like the locomotive look of the control knobs (sorry pic is rotated)

Attachments

Reactions: John Strenk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cj 7 dashboard

Yes as soon as i get back to it I will cut the slots for the defroster ducts and peel the plastic off and repost.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cj dash modification

So today I cut the slots in the dash for the defroster ducts. As i mentioned the Dash i had made was CJ style with a YJ style top flange. This made it east to cut slots and cut the YJ dash tub for clearance. Worked out well. For anyone using a YJ tub with CJ windshield and defroster will find this an easy solution. I just need to trim up the cuts before assembly

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Grille

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well.... for next time, get you a pneumatic inline die grinder, with an arbor and a few cutoff wheels. If you're particular about the corner radius, theres a way to set a certain corner radius and mark the drill point to make the holes line up with the edges of your square layout, or you can just eyeball it. A Step drill bit makes for easy holes in sheetmetal too. Drill the corners, and then cut to the drilled holes. Much cleaner cut, with nice round corners.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I took your advice and used my die grinder with small tip and rounded out the corners and really cleaned up the cut outs

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well I took your advice and used my die grinder with small tip and rounded out the corners and really cleaned up the cut outs
I hope I didn't come across as trashing on your work. I basically drill/cut/patch holes in some rather expensive aircraft for a living, 😆 so this stuff is natural to me. I'm also very jealous of your new dash. A welder I am not, but having just patched my old butchered dash back together, it would have been much easier (and better looking) had I gone the route you did.

Just in case it might help someone else, this is an easy way to layout a square cutout with rounded corners. Layout the full square, using very fine tip sharpie is nice, over tape if it's easier. Decide what you want the corner radius to be, but lets just say a 1/2in radius. Using a set of dividers or a compass, you swing two arcs, pivoting on the "B" locations, away from "A" in this pic. (sorry, my Paint skills are limited) Where those arcs cross "C", that's your drill point. Center punch, and drill. For a 1/2in radius, you need a 1in hole. A Step Drill will make a cleaner hole in thin metal. Drill your corners first, and then something like a 3in cutoff wheel in a die grinder can be used to cut between the holes. If you're real particular, you can cut a little inboard, and sand/grind to your layout lines. Doing it this way, much less risk of cutting past the corners of your square layout. Even if you don't need/care about round corners, a 1/4in (or thereabouts) hole to the inside of your lines can help.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not at all I appreciate your input and suggestions. It actually came out very well and it is a great solution to the Wrangler / CJ conversion

1 - 10 of 10 Posts