Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I thought some of you might be interested in my latest adventure:
Next week I'm setting out in my 2000 Jeep TJ to drive 50,000kms on The Pan American Highway from The Arctic Ocean in Northern Alaska to Terra Del Fuego, the southern-most point of South America.

You can join in my trip on my website - http://www.dangrec.com which I'll be updating regularly with trip reports and photos.
Please post any comments/questions on my website - I probably won't be back here for a LONG time.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ballin! that sounds fun man, just dont get that swine flu! haha

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Do you have time to go for a beer before you leave? I would love to chat with you before you head out! PM me!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm jealous...

Any more details on the trip? Staying in hotels, with friends, campgrounds? Are you going alone? What are you taking with you? Did you quit your job, sell your house, etc to do this?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Huh. Good luck man. Your going to need it. I'm from British Columbia, Canada and you remind me of the, uh, "free spirits" that live in those parts. What about sponsership? International law? And most important, money? Maybe I'm missing something here. It sounds like an awesome adventure, and you picked the right mode of transport to do it in. Just make sure you know exacty what your getting yourself into.
I hope you and your buddys were'nt just sitting around the Cedar tree smoking the "patolie oil" when you thought of this.
That being said, I will be following your journey. I wish you luck and safe travels.

·
Grand Poobah
4,951 Posts
I would stop at the U.S-mexico border myself, I know a guy who attempted that several years ago when Mexico, Central and South America were a lot safer and more American friendly than they are now. He barely escaped with his life, there's a lot of open roads with banditos out there and the federalis won't waste any time looking for you if someone reports you missing because you also have to worry about them. Just my 2 cents but it's sounds like fun, good luck. I'll be checking out your trip from time to time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would stop at the U.S-mexico border myself, I know a guy who attempted that several years ago when Mexico, Central and South America were a lot safer and more American friendly than they are now. He barely escaped with his life, there's a lot of open roads with banditos out there and the federalis won't waste any time looking for you if someone reports you missing because you also have to worry about them. Just my 2 cents but it's sounds like fun, good luck. I'll be checking out your trip from time to time.
Plus you have to remember that you are telling EVERYONE your detailed plans and times when you will be passing through a area. I have a friend who's parents have a home in Belize. They have drove a few times, and both times have been hassled my the Mexican police, or what ever they are called. They had to pay some serious money to be able to carry on their trip. Just be prepared for anything, and remember your life doesn't mean **** to anyone that wants your jeep or your belongings.

Good Luck.
JC

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Huh. Good luck man. Your going to need it. I'm from British Columbia, Canada and you remind me of the, uh, "free spirits" that live in those parts. What about sponsership? International law? And most important, money? Maybe I'm missing something here. It sounds like an awesome adventure, and you picked the right mode of transport to do it in. Just make sure you know exacty what your getting yourself into.
I hope you and your buddys were'nt just sitting around the Cedar tree smoking the "patolie oil" when you thought of this.
That being said, I will be following your journey. I wish you luck and safe travels.
He is from Calgary .... not one of those "patolie oil" guys ..

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
It was awesome meeting you Dan ...

Good luck on the trip and as promised, this thread is now a sticky. Please upload pictures whenever you get a chance and let us know how the adventure is going!!!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Dan,

It was awesome meeting you tonite. I wish you all the luck in the world on this trip. We'll be checking on your progress as we want to do the same type of travelling.
The trip sounds like so much fun and when we drive to Australia you can bet we'll be lookin you up :cheers:
Lookin forward to the updates and have a blast, it's a great adventure owning a Jeep and using it as it was meant to be, exploring.

Good Luck :2thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 272 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.