Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 44 woes

1000 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Markpalmo
Need some rear diff help if possible: Ring gear in my dana 44 has lost some teeth, so now I know what's been making that horrendous noise. Bad news is I need to replace or rebuild...that is my question. Want to go as economically as possible as Jeep is advertised for sale. Bad timing to say the least. Should I have it rebuilt or try to find another axle from junk yard and fit to Jeep? Has a 3.73 gear, 80 CJ7 w/ a built 360ci. Thanks in advance for the help!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
26,505 Posts
I'm not a CJ guy, but can tell you for later Wranglers D44s can be tough to find and when available cost more than a regear would cost. D35s can be easy to find although they would be unlikely to be 3.73 and so would incur the regear cost so not saving anything and "downgrading" the jeep. 8.8s are also common rear swaps in later jeeps and can be found with 3.73. Not sure if they are an option for you though. While it is still not a cheap option, I'm thinking a rebuild of your existing axle may have to be your choice.

· Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,685 Posts
Rebuild it. That 44 is swapped into the 80 and you will need to figure out what it came from to match the width. 86 CJ-7 44's are getting rare and expensive, if it is an earlier CJ narrow dana 44 then it will most likely need gone through for brakes and such and the cost will near the price of the regear. If it is scout, then you will have to do the spring and shock mounts, once again costing close to a regear. That or just advertise it as needing rear diff work and adjust to cost correctly.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply. I did some research and saw that Dana 44's (when I cross reference the model # on axle) comes up as an 'AMC 44'. That the same thing? Rear diff cover looks Dana 44 specific. 19080 CJ's didn't come w/ 44's? Still think I'm going to have to rebuild. Chance of finding that axle & gear ratio in junkyard somewhat close to me is slim to nil.

· Premium Member
26,505 Posts
Thanks for reply. I did some research and saw that Dana 44's (when I cross reference the model # on axle) comes up as an 'AMC 44'. That the same thing? Rear diff cover looks Dana 44 specific. 19080 CJ's didn't come w/ 44's? Still think I'm going to have to rebuild. Chance of finding that axle & gear ratio in junkyard somewhat close to me is slim to nil.
You can't just buy any D44. There are many different variations. Although if you have an actual number off the axle that should be a good guide.

· Registered
398 Posts
I think the Dana 44 was only in mid year 86 CJ's if I remember correctly. I have a Dana 44 in my 1981 CJ but it came out of a Scout

I wouldn't try and swap the axle. I'd find a good axle guy and get it fixed. You might not need to rebuild the entire axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
11,033 Posts
Save some money:
Remove the housing.
Remove the axles/backing plates/drain the diff
Take the housing in for a bench rebuild
Any shop worth their salt should be able to do the R&P in under 4 hours labor plus parts. If they won't warranty the work, then buy the parts yourself and save even more.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are very astute, my friend...look's like that 44 only appeared on the '86 model. Learned that as I am looking for complete rebuild kit. Also, believe it is the narrow track version...measures 45" from end to end.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, the the narrow or widetrack discussion is interesting, but since I've found a guy to do the rebuild locally, I need to buy the rebuild kit. Found several on ebay but want to make sure I choose the right one. Would this axle be the 30 spline? Also, any other tips on what to buy/not to buy? Brands? Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.