Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
541 - 560 of 607 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
I will be posting up a video later today sharing my press break project, but here are the results thus far. I am bending up some 11 gauge steel for my fender flares.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 ·
Busy week in the shop getting ready to do some wheeling. Here is my latest video of some of the stuff I've been doing.

I also finished up my fender flares.

I also added my Youtube logo on the door

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 ·
Lookin good man. I subscribed to your channel when you put your first video on here.
Thanks... I appreciate the support. Hopefully yo enjoy the content at least a little.

Looks good man, hows the 40s?
I haven't made it to the trail with them yet unfortunately. We were supposed to go wheeling last weekend, but had some family things come up that were more important... I will get it out soon.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
My fender flare video is up on the Youtube.

I started doing some figuring for the new hydraulic assist... woo hoo. I am pretty sure this will be necessary with 40's and a spool. A buddy's company was upgrading their fork trucks and just scrapped the old ones so he brought me a free 8" ram. $50 worth of hoses and fittings from Surplus Center and a couple holes drilled in the steering box and I'll be all set.

Total steering... stop to stop

Ram travel... yes, I will need to limit the travel to match my total steering.

The whole thing

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #554 ·
Wheeling Report......

So DaddyJeep was pretty capable on 35's with a limited slip up front. I started off running some lines that I have run before and of course with a spool to replace the lsd and 5 more inches of tire they were a little easier. so I looked for more challenging stuff. I picked a line that looked like it would give me some trouble. Nope... walked right through it. I did finally find a line I couldn't make, but it was pretty stupid. The Jeep really did great. I don't have the hydro assist put together yet so I definitely got to feel what the steering is like with a spool. Most of the time it was ok. There were times where the steering wheel just seemed to hit a wall and I had to fight through it. Once I got through that wall it actually turned just fine. I am definitely anxious to get the hydro assist in, but it is manageable for now. I am wheeling again this weekend so I might not have time to get it done this week. I did have some issues with my trans shifter and eventually lost the ability to shift at all. The nut on the steering shaft backed off inside the tranny so I have to deal with that. I did pull the pan and confirm that is the problem. I also threw out the u-joint caps on the front drive shaft which lead to me wheeling the last few hours in 2wd and the trans stuck in drive. The drive shaft issue happened when I had to drive on the paved road a couple miles between trails. The horribly crooked front drive shaft didn't disengage when I shifted into 2Hi and the vibrations got real intense real fast. Once I got the front drive to disengage it actually went down the road surprisingly well.

So now I am going to just fix the better front drive shaft that I broke last fall and put that one back in. I will get the trans put back together tonight. I have tonight, tomorrow and Wednesday to get ready for this weekend's adventures. I will be doing trail maintenance at Bantam on Saturday and wheeling SOR on Sunday. You would think 3 evenings would be plenty to get my hydro assist done, but the wife backed into a tree yesterday and blew out the rear window in her Tahoe. I pick up the new glass for that tomorrow morning so I have to get that installed. I also cut a tire on my truck yesterday so I have to get a couple new tires mounted. If you are following my camper videos I am supposed to have that ready for this weekend as well... that certainly isn't going to happen.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #555 ·
I finally got the Jeep on the trail with the fo-dees. Having them instead of the 35's and having a front spool instead of a Tru-trac made a bit of a difference on the trail... who knew???

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
WHEELING REPORT.....

The 40's and the spool are awesome. At the same time, they cause some problems too. I am certainly undergeared now with the 4.56's and my steering is sometimes really hard to move. I have the hydro assist ram that will take care of the steering problems without too much effort. I have all of the planning done for that, I just need to get it done. I also have some of what I need to fix my gearing as well. I have the Ford NP205 Transfer case. I just need to pick up another NP241C and put them together to make my doubler. Yes... it is just that simple. :) OK.... it might be a little bit of work. My gearing problems may also be contributing to my transmission running a bit warmer than I like. My engine is also running warmer than I like. I thought that I had fixed my cooling issues last year, but I obviously have not. It was around 80 degrees on Sunday and my engine stayed around 210 with spikes to around 230 and the trans was around 180 with spikes to 215. I think I am going to start by separating the trans cooler from the radiator, not only in positioning in the Jeep but also in flow. I am going to make the trans cooler stand alone and move it maybe to the fender.

Enough with the problems.... We had a great time and the Jeep did awesome. I did manage to break my last remaining stock axle shaft, but is that really a surprise? The suspension still works great, the steering actually works good once I get it turned. I don't think I lost much if any steering angle with the 40's. The tires did great. We even found ourselves in a bit of mud at times. I do need to lower the pressure a bit. 12.5 psi did not allow the tires to work as well as they should. Here is the first video from the weekend. I have a ton of footage so I will be putting together two videos from the trip.

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
If you move into the fender think about the vent I made. My trans runs hotter with the cooler moved away from radiator which is why I cut in the vent for hopefully some moving air through there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
If you move into the fender think about the vent I made. My trans runs hotter with the cooler moved away from radiator which is why I cut in the vent for hopefully some moving air through there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will definitely be putting in a vent. I am still up in the air with what I am ultimately going to do. I am also thinking that I may need to adjust my timing. That could be contributing to the running hot as well. I do get some dieseling at times and it doesn't start as good when it is warm.

In other news... I did a little work last night on the hydro assist project. I got all of my ram mounting tabs done and ready to burn in. I finally got to play with my buddy's new old Miller plasma cutter, which lives in my shop. I cut everything out of 1/4' plate and stacked two pieces to make 1/2" thick tabs.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
We almost have functioning hydro assist. I got the box drilled and tapped while it was still in the Jeep. The fluid coming out of the holes helped flush out the chips. I ran a magnet in the holes often to get what I could out of them. I am also installing an in line transmission fluid filter just in the return line in case I missed a chip or two.

Ram installed

You can see in the lower hole where it cuts into the fluid passage inside the box. I made sure the drill just touched the back side wall to maximize the thread engagement of the fitting.

Finally with the lines installed. I had to keep grinding more off my tap and cutting a little more threads to get the fittings rotated just right.

Once I get my filter installed I can start it up and see how it works. Of course I still have a broken axle shaft so I won't really know yet how it will do pushing past the spool.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
The hydro assist project is wrapped up for now. Everything is together and nothing is leaking. I haven't had it off the lift yet, but it seems to be working ok. They steering is a bit heavy, but it doesn't change at all when it is in the air vs on the ground. We will know more when we actually drive it. I am wondering if it is heavy because I used 1/4" lines. I suppose I should swap them out for 3/8 at some point and see if it changes.

Today's lunch break activities included a new pinion seal on the Dana 44 and a new Spicer 1330 yoke. This is an upgrade to the 1310 yoke that I had with one of the little retaining tabs broke off. My better front drive shaft has a 1330 yoke and I had to run a conversion joint before. I guess maybe I should put a conversion joint on my other shaft now so I have a spare.

541 - 560 of 607 Posts