Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
That is correct sir - Now I have to search for that PM from you...damn :brickwall :laugh:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sorry, didnt read it right, I though he said the transfer case end. Yes, I took the yolk right off the same vehicle I got the shaft from, swapped it with the one for the cv joint, no problems at all

·
Registered
12 Posts
Solution found!!! I'm so damn resourceful sometimes! :) Here's the shizznit...www.Rockforddriveline.com This is valuable info guys...they manufacture CV joints in Illinois. Found exactly what I was looking for...a CV style joint for the front driveshaft and only $112!!...check-em out their catalog has it all. Thanks for all the banter guys, much appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
99.99% sure that Zaq sent me there as well for a u-jointed shaft with an axle end that bolts to the stock yoke. They seem to be good people.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
why not just swap the yolk over and get a driveshaft from the same jeep you got the yolk from?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
why not just swap the yolk over and get a driveshaft from the same jeep you got the yolk from?
because changing a yolk without the proper know how can destroy your axle..

Dillon

·
Registered
544 Posts
How so? From what I was explained, was you need to make sure they are tightened the same. The yolk I took out, and the yolf I put in were the same thickness in the flange, so you just need to make sure its tightened in the same amount down the thread.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
or you could just get a conversion shaft that hooks up the exact same way as the cv style only doesn't have a cv on it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's the skinny...new driveshaft cv joint in and now things are shakin quite a bit and don't sound so good. Could be coming from the driver side axle(cv joint) or from the differential?? Could a problem with these have been the reason the driveshaft cv joint failed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
called a local specialty drive shaft shop today and was quoted $250 to have my drive shaft rebuilt and converted to a u-joint. He said i wouldnt need to change anything i will just be able to bolt it back on and be ready to go.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
called a local specialty drive shaft shop today and was quoted $250 to have my drive shaft rebuilt and converted to a u-joint. He said i wouldnt need to change anything i will just be able to bolt it back on and be ready to go.
lol, if you're converting something you're obviously changing something (ie: the yoke(s) ). So make sure he knows what he's doing before you let him have at the driveshaft.

1,746 Posts
I went to the yard and grabbed an XJ Double cardon Ujoint front ds. Then I went to the local pick an pull and grabbed a new pinion yoke off of a ZJ to fit the DS. Getting that bugger off was tough in the yard, luckily somebody had cut a DS in half so I used that as a cheater bar.

I read a crap ton about installing the new yoke into my D30. I read where a couple of guys didnt measure preload, and they have just torqued to 250 ftlbs. and some that take it to shops.

The FSM tells you how to measure the preload, SO... I decided to tackle this myself.

UNFORTUNATELY I didnt have a torque wrench that goes less than 20 inchlbs...

But I did the install anyway, SO FAR SO GOOD... cross my fingers. Everything is holding up great, no vibrations. no noise from the front... yet. We will see.

Was I hesitant on doing the job myself? Yes, but I priced out new D30s at the yard, only about 150 bucks... so.. we will see what happens. :D

Yard

Edit: Total Cost for conversion:
$50 for the XJ DS
$0 for the yoke
roughly 2 hours to install

The Tcase straps where the DS meets the Tcase uses size 8mm if I remember. Dont use a 12pt wrench, use the 6pt socket or else you will have mess on your hands.

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
Harry, you get the goofiest prices at your junkyards...el-cheapo for a 242, and rape for a driveshaft :rofl:

If a yard wants more than $35 for a driveshaft, I go on down the road :laugh:

1,746 Posts
Harry, you get the goofiest prices at your junkyards...el-cheapo for a 242, and rape for a driveshaft :rofl:

If a yard wants more than $35 for a driveshaft, I go on down the road :laugh:
You can imagine my surprise when I had to buy a new rear DS for the TJ to fit the D44 that I swapped in. $100 for the rear DS!! that thing is like 1ft long!!! i almost pooped!

I picked that TJ DS up at a different yard though. But most of the yards that I usually go to have good prices.

Yard

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of this conversion installed, and a price? In checked the rockford website and it doesnt seem to want to let me do anything on it.

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
ZAQ123 did it some time ago, I think. He might have some pics.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.