Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Jeep Cj5 OEM AMC 304
575 Posts
It’s just a large sipe. Keep an eye on it for bulging but it’s fine for now.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Naw

Reactions: blueseasons1

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
they do make a putty that can be used on the out side for rubber repair. But that is nothing.

I use the stuff for sidewalls as long as it is not cut through. But it is rather expensive. few people sell it get the stuff from a German company. was like a 100 bucks for 16oz. stuff works rather well. Just hard to mix two part putty. REMA TIP TOP 51F A and B Vulcanizing Compound

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you take to a 'licensed' tire shop, because it is too close to the sidewall, (outer edge of the tread), they will in all likelihood, refuse to do any 'repair' on that tire for anything, not just that cut which I am about 100% sure they would not do anything with at all.

I think that the 'tire shop' would either tell you that the tire has to be replaced or inspect it for the depth of the cut and if the cut is not at or goes into or through the top layer of the chord, they would just send you on your merry way.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You don’t plug it unless it’s leaking

Reactions: fishadventure

·
Registered
575 Posts
Actually-
Tell the wife you need a new set of Mickey Thompson tires, 1-2 sizes up ;)

Reactions: JonMopar

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re my previous post:
If you take to a 'licensed' tire shop, because it is too close to the sidewall, (outer edge of the tread),
FWIW, That cut is in the 'Shoulder' portion of the tire.

To reiterate what I mentioned; the vast majority of reputable tire repair shops will recommend replacing the tire and will not 'repair' that damage or anything else on that tire.

Just for some FYI about tire repair here in USA:
See under the heading "Shoulder" here: How Close to Sidewall Can a Tire be Patched? - TireTerrain
Also: scroll to 2nd photo here: https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
Thanks! Is vulcanizing like putting a patch inside with rubber cement?
No. Vulcanizing is creating a ‘liquid’ of the base rubber that bonds the patch permanently.

Rubber cement is a kind of glue.
If you take to a 'licensed' tire shop, because it is too close to the sidewall, (outer edge of the tread)
what exactly is a licensed tire shop?! a California or Colorado thing?

I’m gonna say that cut isn’t going to do anything- it’s basically no deeper than the tread is looking on my phone. Which isn’t very deep either. Those tires are nearly spanked.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
For the record…tire shops actually hate repairing tires. Some will recommend a replacement regardless, but from a liability standpoint, unless it’s in the middle section of the tread, it’s a no go for many. Not that a repair is not possible, but they aren’t taking any risks…just in case you like to corner like a race car while hauling a horse trailer or something lol.

When I was in service, I was trained to say “a repair is not likely” to everyone that came in the door without tire warranty. 1 in 10 actually got good news that we could repair the tire just because there’s a few punctures that are just too text book simple not to 😂

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
1 in 10 actually got good news that we could repair the tire just because there’s a few punctures that are just too text book simple not to 😂
I plug my own tires and I’ve never argued with myself about it. I have traditional ’plugs’ and the Tech-brand self-vulcanizing plugs.
I think the world has gone soft LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts