Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cracked exhaust manifold symptoms??

37724 22
I'm wondering what the symptoms of a cracked exhaust manifold are. About three weeks ago the engine seemed to make a slight ticking sound when underpowered (5-speed) and climbing in RPMs. Just lately I now hear the slight ticking in virtually every gear and at every speed, in time with the engine. It's slight enough I could write it off, and sometimes I have to try to hear it. Maybe it's obsessive compulsiveness, I don't know.

No other probs - no loss of power, fuel economy, etc. Haven't been playing around in 4WD either. At idle it sounds normal, even when I apply a little gas (though I am thinking I do hear it now when I apply enough RPMs).

Ideas? It's a 97 4.0, manual, all stock with 43,000 on it.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
When mine cracked a while back it did the same thing as yours. When I fired it up i got a ticking sound, the sound was louder when I used gas. Also my noise went away after about 5 min, or when the motor heated up. If you have a warrenty on it still, take it to the dealer and have them put a new one on. If no warrenty, I would buy a header(Banks or Borla) instead of a new manifold and have the motor breath a little better.
HTH

·
Retired Staff
2004 Jeep Wrangler
76,734 Posts
I'd say it's remarkable it has lasted 43,000 miles on it, it's very likely cracked. By the time my 36,000 mile warranty was up on my '97 TJ with a 4.0L engine, it was on its 4th and final exhaust manifold. The dealer finally installed the new improved design just as the warranty was nearly over and it's been fine since.

The symptoms you are having and hearing point to a cracked exhaust manifold... there's a darned good chance that's what it is.

Try to get the dealer or Jeep to pick up part of the cost since it is extremely well known that the exhaust manifolds in all '97 TJs and first-half '98 TJs with 4.0L engines were cracking like crazy.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The Jeep 4.0L exhaust manifold has been a real problem. I have replaced them on all models back to 1989. Almost all crack in the same area. The new re-designed exhaust are susposed to be better ... only time will tell.

Its something you want to have replaced very soon. Carbon monxide gas can enter the vehicle which is dangerous. Most people don't realize this can happen. So try and do it soon.

I would look into the Banks headers.. Redrock4x4.com sell them. I am looking into doing one on my 01' after the warrenty runs out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
yep!..sounds cracked to me too...do not use those crappy ebay manifolds that are like $150...they crack just as bad...seen many of those!...Step 1: look at banner ad on forum here called "Banks"

step 2: call and order header from Quadratec,4wd.com.ok4wd.com or somewhere similar

Step 3: install header and be very :D

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
gtflyer said:
yep!..sounds cracked to me too...do not use those crappy ebay manifolds that are like $150...they crack just as bad...seen many of those!...Step 1: look at banner ad on forum here called "Banks"

step 2: call and order header from Quadratec,4wd.com.ok4wd.com or somewhere similar

Step 3: install header and be very :D
Quadratec is running 2-4 week leadtime, going to call ok4wd next. have a message into rev shop. Another symptom I hope is related to cracked header is the idle will drop ALOT when pulling up to a stop. Mine has went as low as 150-200 rpm. Still hasn't died though, kinda fun to try and get your toes over on the gas to bump it a bit when trying to stop & hold in the clutch. :)

Jim

·
Registered
526 Posts
no dice at quadratec huh Jim?...Ok4wd.com should have the banks in stock,and I am sure the rev shop probably has them too..Glad to see that finally you are going with the banks after all this time... :p

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
gtflyer said:
no dice at quadratec huh Jim?...Ok4wd.com should have the banks in stock,and I am sure the rev shop probably has them too..Glad to see that finally you are going with the banks after all this time... :p
It's on order! :) ok4wd.com, I think I stole the absolute last one, they had 2 in stock and the other one was already spoken for. Banks torque tube, magnaflow stainless hi-flow cat (lifetime warranty) and Banks stinger cat-back. $768 after shipping :)

Now all I have to do is hopefully get the stock POS off without breaking a bolt off in the head or finding a broken stud, etc... Wish me luck this weekend. PB Blaster is already on the factory one.

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mines cracked too!

Jim Shanks said:
It's on order! :) ok4wd.com, I think I stole the absolute last one, they had 2 in stock and the other one was already spoken for. Banks torque tube, magnaflow stainless hi-flow cat (lifetime warranty) and Banks stinger cat-back. $768 after shipping :)

Now all I have to do is hopefully get the stock POS off without breaking a bolt off in the head or finding a broken stud, etc... Wish me luck this weekend. PB Blaster is already on the factory one.

Jim
Let me know how the install went. I just found out mine is cracked too. I have an '01 with 43K miles and ofcourse, no warrenty! I've been looking into the Banks Headers too. Will the headers work with stock pipes or do I need to replace everything from the headers down?

Good luck on the install and if you can take pics..please post 'em!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Mudder69 said:
Let me know how the install went. I just found out mine is cracked too. I have an '01 with 43K miles and ofcourse, no warrenty! I've been looking into the Banks Headers too. Will the headers work with stock pipes or do I need to replace everything from the headers down?

Good luck on the install and if you can take pics..please post 'em!
The '01 is actually a different part#, from the sounds of it, some people are having difficulty getting to a couple of the bolts after install to tighten them up. Other than that, all sounds like it should be fine. They replace just the header, there is no downpipe replacement. And it bolts right to the head and the donut gasket up to the factory downpipe. Hopefully have mine before the weekend.

HTH,
Jim

·
Registered
526 Posts
nice deal Jim!..I am sure you will love it!...let us know how it all works out~Mudder...The part # for your '01 is 51306 for the banks header and it does bolt to the existing pipe.Gotta have patience with a couple of the bottom bolts as they are a major PITA,but other than that everything is smooth sailing!.. :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
gtflyer said:
nice deal Jim!..I am sure you will love it!...let us know how it all works out~Mudder...The part # for your '01 is 51306 for the banks header and it does bolt to the existing pipe.Gotta have patience with a couple of the bottom bolts as they are a major PITA,but other than that everything is smooth sailing!.. :cool:
Thanks for the info! I plan on getting mine real soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yep, me 2

I just logged in to ask about this very problem, and there your thread was. I thought it happened because of my new high flow cat and muffler. My exhaust manifold is pretty well cracked. Back fires like crazy when I downshift. I'm going to get some headers I figure, I was looking at some by pacesetter since I dont have a lot of dough, but I havent heard much about them, just Banks, Borla, etc. Let me know how all that works out for you and if anyone has any more suggestions that would be great. thanx

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
jedi 4x4 said:
I just logged in to ask about this very problem, and there your thread was. I thought it happened because of my new high flow cat and muffler. My exhaust manifold is pretty well cracked. Back fires like crazy when I downshift. I'm going to get some headers I figure, I was looking at some by pacesetter since I dont have a lot of dough, but I havent heard much about them, just Banks, Borla, etc. Let me know how all that works out for you and if anyone has any more suggestions that would be great. thanx
IMO stay away from pacesetter, their products are not that good. In reality I have come to believe "learned the hard way" that you get what you pay for. Hense my recent order of Banks header, catback, and Magnaflow cat. $768 later my exhaust had better not leak and work like a charm. :)

Jim

·
Registered
841 Posts
I haven't seen the 01' model crack yet?
"Mudder" Where did yours crack? They were susposed to repair the expansion problem to correct this. My 01" has the 2 pre cats just below the manifold.

Usually, I have found them cracked around the collector or rear cylinder ex pipes (older models)

·
Registered
60 Posts
RockPaws

RockPaws said:
I haven't seen the 01' model crack yet?
"Mudder" Where did yours crack? They were susposed to repair the expansion problem to correct this. My 01" has the 2 pre cats just below the manifold.

Usually, I have found them cracked around the collector or rear cylinder ex pipes (older models)
To be honest, I am just taking the "Stealerships" word on this one. The tech told me that there was a minor crack on the exhaust manifold and he recommended I buy Headers instead of the OEM replacement manifolds! Anyhow, I plan on crawling under the Jeep this weekend and looking for myself. The tech said I should be able to hear a slight leak when the gas pedal is applied. The only thing I have noticed is there is a "squeaking" sound comming from under the vehicle and I have tracked this to the manifold.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have seen a couple crack already..One was a mid 2000 model ( I think) and the other was an '02....The factory (2) piece manifold/header if that is what you want to call it does not have any expansion joints in it.It is a cast iron piece that necks down in some spots to like 1/2 in in diameter and that was where the crack was on both!...it is about as useless as the old ones that cracked ALL the time.Just buy the Banks one if in fact it is cracked somewhere..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Time for me to join the list. Mine is cracked. Have'nt seen where exactly yet, but I'm almost 100% positive that it is! My question is, I have a $900 extened warranty that I purchased w/ the Jeep when I bougth it about 6 months ago. 75k miles/Feb. 2005. It now has 65k on it. The manifold IS listed as a covered part. Should I go ahead and take it in? They WILL HAVE TO REPLACE IT correct? There are NO mods whatsoever to the eng. I'm just hesitant b/c I purchased the Jeep from a Nissan dealer! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
526 Posts
yes i would assume they will have to replace it if it is listed as a covered part.might as well since it is free,but the downside to it is they will replace it with their so called "improved version" that also cracks and you will be in the same boat again sometime down the line.

·
Registered
94 Posts
blksahara, I agree with gtflyer, they should replace it but something like a stainless steel banks header might be worth the money if you have it. You'll receive an increase in power and sound plus you'll have something that last well past the warranty timeframe. I love mine, but if you dont want to fork out $400 you might just want to take your chances with the stock one, you might get lucky or at least it will buy you some time before you put in a stainless one. I doubt they would, but if its covered underwarranty, would they put in an aftermarket header since the labor is the same? Doubt it, but might be worth asking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.