Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Having to remove the cowl to check or replace the filter is my only complaint about this setup.
I would rather just run the intake to the cowl, but I also cannot find a nice canister to use for the filter. :(

~John
I'm at work, but I can provide pics another time if you are interested. I found a air box that uses oval filters. It has 3" circular in and out on top and bottom, and is about 8.5" deep that I think I can fit a full size 9" AEM filter in. It will fit a short filter no problem.

The only problem I am having is where to put it. I thought about sucking from somewhere on the hood, but that poses it's own challenges with opening the hood and sealing the intake. Running it to the cowl poses problems of routing, but solves many others. I really want to figure this out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That sounds interesting, post up some pics when you have time.

Its gonna be tough to find, a relatively small canister, that holds a proper filter,
I would have no problem running the intake into the cowl, if the filter was still under the hood.
I would like to find a small canister, so i can just stick it inline with the intake tube, as it goes straight over to the cowl.
I want it as short as possible.

~John

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yeah, I bought this. It was only $32 shipped. Maybe it'll give me some ideas.

If you look at Unscathed's pics, notice the airbox over his engine. If that could be made to hold an airfilter, it would be perfect. Then just run a hose into the cowl area like his, but stop it at the firewall.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Heres the under hood airfilter box that Kerndone did to his. He said this airbox is from a Buick V6 (dont know which model). This would work for me.

OK...I cant upload the pic, so do a search for Hummer cold air intake.

I don't care about a cold air intake, but I do want the intake to be above any water I may cross. I don't want a snorkle. I had one (on an older jeep) and it got torn off by a tree.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I don't really care for the safari type exterior snorkles. I want a cowl snorkle setup but do you have to remove the cowl to change the air-filter?
Unscathed: what is that box thing under your hood? is that an air-filter box too?

1cleanTJ: could this what your talking about? 01-04 Honda Civic kit on ebay. The buy it now price was only $5.95. HOWEVER, the shipping was $27.
Well the black box thing is your wiper motor.. otherwise the box that is on passenger side is the Cabin Air dam that prevents water from getting in your cab.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you have access to a welder most muffler shops will give you the scraps for free and you can save some $ I already had the plastic K&N tube off the throttle body but could have easily used muffler tube for the entire thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Has anybody done a smog/emissions test on this type of setup ... I live in CA, where god knows what would happen to me if I attempted this and tried to get a smog test... :rolleyes: I'm not saying that it's not a bad idea, its actually quite awesome in fact, but smog might be a factor in making this for some people. :cheers2:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Has anybody done a smog/emissions test on this type of setup ... I live in CA, where god knows what would happen to me if I attempted this and tried to get a smog test... :rolleyes: I'm not saying that it's not a bad idea, its actually quite awesome in fact, but smog might be a factor in making this for some people. :cheers2:
The answer is no.

It should pass the test just fine, but if it does not have the CARB seal of approval it won't meet the visual inspection. I am keeping all the stock stuff to put on for inspection purposes. I doubt it'll take 1/2 hour to go back like it was from the factory.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
why not just run a pipe to the cowl, but leave the filter under the hood?
This way you don't have to remove the cowl when you want to check or change the filter...
That is what a lot of people do. You can get an airbox from an early 90's buick with the 3300 V6 and it works quite well from what I've seen.

Here's a link from bigchevyman24's writeup........there are a few more linked in this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473981

I will be doing this myself soon, just picked up the airbox last week so now I just need to hit up the hardware/auto parts stores for the rest of the pieces.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
so is there any serious co concerns about water getting Into this intake? I am going to do this mod but it seems like the air filter is quite vulnerable to water if it were to get under the cowl...
The cowl has a drain. If the drain is plugged you have troubles regardless if you have a filter in there or not. If you put a scoop on the cowl intake grill aimed back the odds of getting any large amount of rain water in there is pretty slim. If you are talking about fording a river and submerge the Jeep in water that high you are screwed in many ways other than just getting water in the intake.

why not just run a pipe to the cowl, but leave the filter under the hood?
This way you don't have to remove the cowl when you want to check or change the filter...
That would be better than the stock set-up probably, but remember, the air box is an oven mounted under the hood. If there is some way you can insulate it then that would make things better. Actual cold air needs to be inducted into the engine. As close to outside ambient air temp as possible is what is needed. And even if you just keep the stock set-up move the IAT sensor out of the manifold and into the air tube. The '05 and '06 models have it in the air tube. The manifold is a heat sink and causes false readings to the sensor. Very important mod that does a lot of good.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I kinda would rather use PLASTIC over steel and what not as far as condensation and rust is concerned. Yea you can paint it, but the pain is going to chip eventually and shoot down into your intake.. Just my 2 cents.

The only reason I have that airbox popping off of the intake is simply because I was working on another project trying to make my own using different parts from junkyards, but I realized that all I did was waste time and money in "Trial and Error"

I wrote the write-up for anyone that wanted a one stop shop solution.

I created the intake for
1- Clean cooler Air
2- Better Airflow
3- Kinda for deeper water driving, not that I do much of it, but I would rather know when my intake is sucking in water rather then hoping it isn't fording through water.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd like to see pics if anyone tried this with a 2.4L. It seems alot more crowded up around the fire wall...

Anyone think it would work here?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I'd like to see pics if anyone tried this with a 2.4L. It seems alot more crowded up around the fire wall...

Anyone think it would work here?
Sure would. All those wires just can be laid over the top of the tube. Same firewall as a 4.0

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
41 - 60 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.