Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much did this cost you? I realize not all shops are the same...

99 Quadra-Drive WJ 4.7

I'm positive ours needs it. Over a year and a half ago we began experiencing a roar, then backing out and turning it would make grinding noises. Now 75% of the time it makes god awful noises when turning. I'm gonna pull the front diff cover soon and inspect it. The rear diff is fine.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Don't be surprised if you get quotes around 1k...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Start calling around to wrecking yards and u pull its. Not a difficult thing to swap in a junkyard axle.

Did my front pinion bearing for $600 at a dealer, would have been cheaper at a non dealer shop.

Years later and more knowledge, my rear end was out of spec and going out. Paid $100 for a craigslist axle, installed myself with a friend in about 3 hours, trouble free for the last 2 years. So I would suggest craigslist/junkyard. What exactly is wrong with yours? Could it just be spider gears? or did you blow it up? If you tell us symptoms etc it might save you some cash.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got my front axle completely rebuilt with all new components, gears, bearings, seals, axle shafts, the whole nine yards.... set me back roughly $1300 from the dealership

·
Registered
487 Posts
the quadra drive's front diff is $700 for the entire unit and you can only buy the entire unit (non-serviceable). so yeah it cost me just over 1k to get my rear done at a local shop. and i think that was with a used unit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the quadra drive's front diff is $700 for the entire unit and you can only buy the entire unit (non-serviceable). so yeah it cost me just over 1k to get my rear done at a local shop. and i think that was with a used unit.
So a brand new unit is $700? I can't imagine it being that difficult to replace the entire assembly.

·
Got Beer?
2,789 Posts
Are you sure it is the differential? Have you checked your axle CV joints? How close are you to the Detroit area. I can recommend a good Ring and Pinon shop here. Also, I recently had a grinding noise and thought it was a CV joint, but turned out to be my front drive shaft.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
As said above, you should check your cv joints. The fact that a lot of the noise is bases on turning makes me think cv

·
Registered
487 Posts
So a brand new unit is $700? I can't imagine it being that difficult to replace the entire assembly.
You can only buy the complete unit. it cost me ~650 for a used one. you can find quotes for just the diff in the neighborhood of $700. it really sucks. so yeah check Everything else before going that route.

·
Got Beer?
2,789 Posts
A new Detroit Tru Trac for a D30 is only about $450 at the ring and pinon shop. And I would not try to install it yourself unless you are experienced at it, because if you do not install it correctly it will wear out the gears quick.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...trac/index.htm

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
A new Detroit Tru Trac for a D30 is only about $450 at the ring and pinon shop. And I would not try to install it yourself unless you are experienced at it, because if you do not install it correctly it will wear out the gears quick.
another thing it says in the Manual! for the Tru-Trac DOESNT REQUIRE LIMITED SLIP Additives

that would sell it for me 10x plus use's Worm gears no little clutch plates and crap to wear out.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As said above, you should check your cv joints. The fact that a lot of the noise is bases on turning makes me think cv
They are brand new.

On a good note I think it may not be the differential after all. I decided to do a wheel bearing check and there was WELL over an inch of play top to bottom on the drivers side wheel. It felt extremely loose and made some metal noises when doing so. Gonna order a timken replacement on ebay for $78 tonight and get that on there. I have a feeling that will take care of everything, and hopefully the roar I've had for a year and a half.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All grinding noises are now gone as a result of replacing one of the wheel hub assemblies. There is still a slight noise but now it seems to be isolated to the back passengers corner so I'm wondering if there isn't another that needs changed out.

At a small cost of $78 per timken bearing, do you reckon it would be worthwhile to go ahead and change the other 3? Also, some of the noise may be attributed to the wrangler gs-a tires as well I suppose. I so used to my daily driver, a buick riviera that I'm accustomed to pure quietness lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.