Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'84 CJ7 stock w/ YJ tub
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on getting my 84 CJ on the road again. Had it on the road around my neighborhood for a test drive, it was a blast by the way, then got home like 10min later and this was happening I immediately thought I blew a main seal of some kind and she was dead in the water. I was heartbroken. But I read it could be the water pump or the thermostat housing that's leaking. Is that what it looks like? How do I track down where it's coming from? Hoping I didn't waste tons of time/work on a Jeep with a wasted motor!

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I am thinking the same as John. The water pump is directly above the crank on the 258. I would spray it lightly with engine degreaser, rinse with a water hose to clean the area, then run the engine for a few minutes so it leaks again. Then inspect around the water pump and thermostat. Most all water pumps have a weep hole facing downward near the fan end of the shaft. the majority of water pump failures occur there. Wiggling the fan like John suggested should tell you if there is play in that shaft.

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
I had a similar leak like that a few years back. Turned out to be the water pump seal for the pump shaft. Coolant coming out of the weep hole and leaking down around the crank area.
I was able to replace the seal on the pump instead of purchasing a new pump. Only did it this way since the water pump on my engine was powder coated, otherwise I would have replaced the pump. Found the seal and special tool to replace the seal on the internet somewhere but I don't remember.

·
Registered
'84 CJ7 stock w/ YJ tub
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. There doesn't seem to be any leaking around the thermostat housing, so it's most likely the water pump. I assume you can't tell if the fan shaft wiggles until you take the belts off, right? There isn't with everything still in place.

·
Super Moderator
23,567 Posts
Thanks guys. There doesn't seem to be any leaking around the thermostat housing, so it's most likely the water pump. I assume you can't tell if the fan shaft wiggles until you take the belts off, right? There isn't with everything still in place.
Sometimes you can but easier with the belts loose.
And that just checks the bearing, Usually the seals wear out with bad bearings leak. If just the seals fail, it might not wobble. But seals dry out and crack.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
OK

Treat time!

Check out Mr. Jeep's water pump in February this year

Heavy breathing is courtesy of Menthol 100s, starting in 1986 and ending

on the way to the hospital for my heart attack and stent installation about 3 years ago.

(Stent has Lifetime Warranty)

It's not good at all, I function normally, but is not like bob4703 having to suck on the nitrous bottle..

This is "CHECKING" with the belt on and still tensioned.---It's worse with the belt off!

New video by Bruce Nelson

Yes----Thank goodness this is LW, purchased in Oct 1997 for $19.97----replaced free

a few times since then.

I may overtighten my belt at times--I do it by "feel", not with a gauge.

------JEEPFELLER

·
Super Moderator
23,567 Posts
Gotcha. 258 w/o ac and w/o serpentine would be standard rotation, right?
Yes, The serpentine belt really make the difference in rotation...

And there is a number of different water pumps, the difference being the flange height where the fan mounts.
Check the new one with the old one before leaving the store.
Vehicle Gas Automotive lighting Cylinder Auto part

Otherwise your belts may not line up and your pulley can scrpe on the pump housing.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
HI as fast at that is coming out should be easy enough to see where its coming from... how about the lower hose?? all the water is coming from that side gotta be something on the drivers side.. check all your clamps ... and look real good .. Like I said its coming out purity FAST so it should be easy to see where its coming from... just look.. give us a camera view from the top front we can't tell anything from the bottom execpt how fast its coming out.., or move the camera so we can see the bottom hose and water pump from the bottom all we can see is the crank pulley and there is NO water in that area of the motor..

good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
HI something don't seam right in the video??? if it was leaking that much while the motor was running the Fan would have blown water every where.. and its completely dry????
so can you give us a video of it leaking with a picture from the front top or the bottom side showing the lower hose and the water pump..
tim

·
Registered
'84 CJ7 stock w/ YJ tub
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually do see splatters all over the driver's side of the engine bay which I assume is coolant. I took the water pump off last night and didn't immediately see the issue. I'm assuming a seal within the pump failed. I have a new pump showing up today, so hopefully it fixes the problem. I'm going to flush the whole coolant circuit while I'm at it. I put new coolant in a while ago and it's already red and cloudy with rust.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Could be electric fans.
Na I can just barely make out the tip of one of the blades in a quick shot as he moves his camera.

I actually do see splatters all over the driver's side of the engine bay which I assume is coolant. I took the water pump off last night and didn't immediately see the issue. I'm assuming a seal within the pump failed. I have a new pump showing up today, so hopefully it fixes the problem. I'm going to flush the whole coolant circuit while I'm at it. I put new coolant in a while ago and it's already red and cloudy with rust.
Other than the gasket around the pump the only seal is the one where the shaft comes out.. OH and you can wiggle the fan if the seal is bad even with the belts on (experience).. Did you check to see if you could wiggle it before you took it off??? are you replacing the pump with out checking it ?? throwing $$ away.
You could see splatters of water all over the driver side HHHMMM it looks totally dry in the video , fender , steering shaft. steering components dry, all hoses look bone dry??? the fan blows liquid ALL OVER not just on one side.

tim

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
HI,
I don't know .. looking thru the steering arms at the first of the video I can see also what looks like an old pan catching the drips and the sound the drips are making is the sound of it dripping into a pan not the ground..........
I think I'm out on this one

tim

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Gas Composite material Machine Cylinder Metal

When you recorded the leak, you should have checked above the crankshaft pulley area, towards the bottom it the water pump, where the weep hole is located. See picture for location. Your new pump should fix it, so I think you will be GTG with a new pump.

You should be able to grasp the fan with both hands to rock the fan side to side to check the water pump bearing, when the Jeep is fully assembled and drivable. Try it after you have it together, with a new WP the fan will not rock side to side.

So next time you have a leak or suspect a leak or WP bearing problems.

1. Reach under the WP and feel for coolant, sometimes you can just look. Any coolant coming out of the weep hole indicates a bad seal.

2. Rock your fan side to side, a loose or sloppy fan indicates a bad WP bearing.

A problem with either requires a WP replacement, unless you replace the seal or bearing yourself, but most simply replace the WP.

·
Registered
'84 CJ7 stock w/ YJ tub
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hoses are all fine, no leaks, thermostat housing is dry, I wiggled the fan with the belts off and it doesn't move at all. new water pump is $40, and this looks to be the original. I'll throw it in and see what happens. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,023 Posts
HI something don't seam right in the video??? if it was leaking that much while the motor was running the Fan would have blown water every where.. and its completely dry????
so can you give us a video of it leaking with a picture from the front top or the bottom side showing the lower hose and the water pump..
tim
I am with this, it doesn't look to be leaking when running, my guess is a loose hose or gasket going as if it starts dripping after sitting for a few minutes, i.e. pressure builds up from heat soak then the leak starts

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you order your water pump (95% sure that's the problem), also order a Felpro water pump gasket. The gasket that will come with the pump is far inferior.
Agree - water pump or where heater hose connects to pump or combination of both. Regardless, you have to take everything on the front off to fix. Good advice from Smokey on the Felpro gasket too…

1 - 20 of 29 Posts