Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove jeeps for years and years. Gave my last one to my son. We have missed it.

I’m considering a high mileage 2001 Sahara, as a novelty. I know it’ll have problems and need things done, due to age and mileage. I have no idea about parts availability. Are these things difficult to get parts for when something breaks or wears out? I don’t have time for junkyard surfing, and just don’t know what I would be getting into.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove jeeps for years and years. Gave my last one to my son. We have missed it.

I’m considering a high mileage 2001 Sahara, as a novelty. I know it’ll have problems and need things done, due to age and mileage. I have no idea about parts availability. Are these things difficult to get parts for when something breaks or wears out? I don’t have time for junkyard surfing, and just don’t know what I would be getting into.

Thanks in advance.
Owned my 98 Wrangler since 98 and it's a daily driver. So far the only new replacememt part I could not find was a Mopar OEM muti-function switch. Found a used one on eBay within seconds.

Aftermarket parts are out here and easily found - my experience.

Sensors - stick with Mopar when replacing.

If the frame is not a **** show I say Go For It!

Good Luck

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outstanding. Thank you. We are still looking. The one we were looking at is rough. 230,000 miles and paint is faded. Owner somehow thought it was worth 10,000. We are looking for other, similar year models. That one was worth 5k, max, given condition and mileage.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Parts are easy to get. Rust is the #1 problem to be concerned about. Read up on the common places for rust so you know where to look.

Unfortunately, now is terrible time to shop for any vehicle. TJ's have always been overpriced, now they are insane. Rusted out junk with 200,000+ miles is listing for $10k.

Unfortunately, it's hard to see how it won't just get worse. That's what happens when trillions of dollars are printed and business/supply chain is shut down. Maybe by next year, you'll be looking at the same Jeep for $20k.

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
^
Well, that's why I got an LJ... hoping the value would keep going up, and up, and up and... hehe.

As far as a high milage Wrangler... could be ok but give it a thorough look over. Although the 4.0 is a beast of a good motor, it does have it's limits and issues. Make sure it is not burning oil and have a rear main leak. They can start getting tired when getting over the 200K mark. As said, parts should not be an issue. Rust can surely be an issue, but other than the engine, other parts wear out too, so a good inspection should be in order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.