Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just logged on, checked out the new threads, and immediately found three or four that obviously didn't read this one. Could this thread get stickied, "Read this before posting problems!"

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm sure when I first glanced at this thread there was a paragraph re Door Hinge Pins , Its gone now could some kind sole add it back in please?:D
Look closer. :D

7. Sagging/Thumping/Uneven Door

Everybody loves this. You will be hard pressed to find a driver's ZJ door that doesn't have this problem. The door pins that hold the hinges on eventually go bad and will cause the door to sag and thud when it opens/closes. The super cool pin striping plus up and down door movement is the easiest way to notice the problem. Here is a great write-up on how to replace the pins.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...cement-506080/

·
Registered
364 Posts
"Third, flush the coolant system. There is a plug at the bottom of the radiator that makes this an easy process. Please don't do this while engine is warm."

Back when I was a teenager, I watched my step-brother do basically that exact thing. We were driving and he notice the engine seemed to be getting a little too warm. We pulled over, he popped the hood, reached for the radiator cap and burned his hand. SO HE GETS A TOWEL AND OPENS THE CAP!!! Luckily he jumped back and somehow didn't burn himself bad. I'm a ***hole, so of coarse, I laughed my butt off.

·
Registered
706 Posts
"Third, flush the coolant system. There is a plug at the bottom of the radiator that makes this an easy process. Please don't do this while engine is warm."

Back when I was a teenager, I watched my step-brother do basically that exact thing. We were driving and he notice the engine seemed to be getting a little too warm. We pulled over, he popped the hood, reached for the radiator cap and burned his hand. SO HE GETS A TOWEL AND OPENS THE CAP!!! Luckily he jumped back and somehow didn't burn himself bad. I'm a ***hole, so of coarse, I laughed my butt off.
back in highschool we ran into a situation where we had to open the radcap while things were running and what we ended up doing was grabbing some coveralls and engulfing the entire cap with them so any spray was right into the fabric and not on us when we opened it

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I actually did this somewhat when I flushed my coolant. That's why I added the last part. :laugh: I let the engine cool for about 15 minutes while playing fetch with my dog. I took off that plug on the bottom of the radiator thinking that was a long enough wait. Wrong. As soon as I turned it 90 degrees the plug flew off and coolant sprayed out like a jet stream. Luckily I was laying to the side and using channel locks to take it off.

Brilliant post Jason, very informative, and a good starting point for the beginners, just hope they use it. :)
Thank you sir. It was worth the few hours of writing. These ZJ's can be a pain sometimes, and the fix is usually pretty simple. I'd rather have a new guy learn to wrench on his own vehicle rather then go to the shop and pay an arm and a leg for a hack job with cheap parts.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Brake light switch.

All four door modules.

Trailer tow circuit breaker.

Rear wiper motor.

Lift glass limit switch.

Speaker amplifier under the rear seat.

Automatic headlight sensor.

There's some things that are in that circuit.

21 - 40 of 283 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.