Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Code 11 and 54

268 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Pooka8183
We have a 95 zj and about 2 months ago when we were getting on the highway the rpms dropped to almost zero sputtered and almost died so we pulled off the highway turned the ignition off waited about 5 min then it started right up and ran fine 4 a couple weeks then it did it again except this time it didn't want 2 start again we checked the relays, vacuum lines, plug wires, coil, and the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors everything looked fine. Turned the motor over and it started. Ran ok till last night then it had a hard time starting and when it did start it was misfiring really really bad, and kept trying 2 die. Changed the relays and it ran on for a couple hours the it did it again and everytime it would die it took a while to get it to start again. We pulled the codes and got a 11 and 54. Right now it's running normal but I'm pretty sure that's only temporary so I'm trying 2 find and fix the problem before it happens again and we get stranded somewhere. But since it comes and goes I have no idea where 2 start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tia!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
437 Posts
Those are codes for Crank and Cam position sensors. If the wiring is intact and because it died while running I would probably throw a crank sensor in it. If you do replace the sensors use Mopar parts.

Crank sensor: Mopar 56027272
Cam/ Ignition pickup: Mopar 56026746

· Registered
927 Posts
Both codes are related to the distributor pickup/cam position sensor inside the distributor. Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler OBD1 Codes PDF
You can replace just the distributor pickup electronics inside the distributor. You don't even need to remove the distributor, just remove the cap, remove the rotor, remove the dust shield, and then it's 2 screws, IIRC, to remove the pickup electronics. It may also be worth double checking all ground locations and making sure they are clean and tight and all cables and in good condition.

· Registered
128 Posts
Though rare, I had the bushings inside the distributor take a crap. It sputtered and wanted to die, because the shutter wheel chewed up the pick-up in the cam sensor. Unfortunately, it manifested itself driving through DC on a Sunday night in the rain. Might check that as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts