Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a TJ from 97 with a working AC on which the climate control (warm or cold) is a slider. Since I bought the car the cable driven by the slider is broken (it is too loose and then tension mechanics is broken) so the slider does not activate the lever under the glove box properly.

As a quick fix, I was regulating by grabbing under the glovebox and turning the lever.

One morning, I try to switch from cooling to heating and the lever snapped. I am blocked in heating which was fine for Xmas but the weather is improving quickly and I want to be able to want to use the AC again.

My repair manual is for a jeep wrangler from 99 and therefore does not include the cable system. I would appreciate if someone could give me a diagram.

I am wondering whether I need to drop the dashboard (like I did to fix my AC) to have access to the HVAC box or if I can just replace the lever. I did not try to extract it with pliers yet.

Also if anyone as a part number for the cable and the lever it would be great.

I uploaded some pictures of the broken parts here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111948549216054133115/albums/5695374547157810833

Thanks,
Pierre

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
A self tapping screw through both parts of the lever is probably the easiest fix. I had to repair my dash vent lever in that fashion. There are only two levers available and as they are identified as upper and lower I doubt they are the same as the one you would need. They are both different to the dash lever hence my repair method.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply!

I was thinking for the self taping screw before but the link in you signature was most useful I found the part number I needed

CABLE, Temperature Control 55037 398AA or 55037 405AA
LEVER, Blend Air Door 4864 990 or 4864 991

I was able to find a lever for the defrost (5014 108AA) on
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/lever-blend-air-door-4897626aa.html
http://www.cyberjeep.com/tj/pr/lever-blend-air-door
I have this but it appears very expensive

Any idea where to look? because no luck so far for the cable.

Koubiak

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
55037398AA would be the part number you need to use for the cable the J and U in the next column indicate LHD and RHD.

Googling the part number comes up with a couple of sites showing a price of $28.35

Whether it's just listed and not in stock is another matter. You might have to try ordering it or calling the vendors to find out. You might have to end up jerryrigging the cable somehow to effect a repair. And since the lever seems so expensive I think I'd be using a screw to fix that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the help.

I ordered the cable because I have tried to fix it before with not luck.

I am gonna try to extract the lever tonight and see if I can fix it myself.

Do you think there is any risk for the door when extracting the lever?

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
No risk of damage to the door but it will break a small tab off the part of the lever that is still in there. The tab is used to retain the lever in the door pivot. If you can screw it in without removing the part still in there it might be better. My defrost lever, which I had to pop out to repair my dash vent lever, occasionally pops out and I have to hold it in place pushing on it while I alter the vent settings so it will line up and push back in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see.

I will try to screw it in place then. I am little afraid of lining the thing up properly.

If I needed to extract the piece, do you think it will be possible to extract the tab? So I could at least repair the whole thing?

Also do you remember the size of the screw you used?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Looks like Jonny has you fixed up...nothing for me to add here. I didn't follow his links but shoot me a PM if you need any info from the FSM, I was lucky enough to buy one on disc when I began my build and it includes 97, 98, & 99. Don't remember what I paid for it but it's worth hundreds for sure!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I did the fix last saturday. I was very easy to swap the cable.

We tapped a screw through the broken handle and now I can regulate the temp again.
We also tapped a screw through for the defrost up lever that was broken. To gain access to the lever I only drop the metal plate under the steering column fairly easy :)

Overall it took 45 minutes I think.

Thank you guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.