Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 CJ7 manual transmission that won't start. Battery is new and good, Starter and solenoid are new and good as well. I turn the key, lights come on, but it doesn't try to turn over or click. Any suggestions? I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Everything is hooked back up correctly?

Did you by chance "Crank Down" on your BIG solenoid connections with a single wrench and not "back-hold" the stud?

Nuther words, did the studs take full force of your wrenching?

If so, you may have muffed your solenoid.

What lights are coming on when you turn the key?

Send a pic of Mr. Solenoid all connected up?

-----JEEPFELLER

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
Troubleshoot the issue.
Start by checking to see if there is power from the wire going to the S post of the solenoid with the key rotated to the start position.
If so:
Solenoid bad
Solenoid ground bad
Starter cable bad.
Starter bad

If not, then:
Do the same check at the starter switch mounted on the column. If there is power going to wire to the solenoid, then the wire between the switch is the issue.
If there is no power going out, then:
The switch is bad
The switch needs adjusting
An issue with the actuating rod or ignition tumbler

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
HI there is a high chance you just got the two little wires on the solenoid crossed up.. The wire that goes to the small S post should have power only when the key is turned to the start position. That is what tells the starter to turn on..
good luck
tim

·
Registered
139 Posts
Make sure it's in Neutral, Set Parking Brake, Put Key in Run Position, go to solenoid and put jumper wire on S terminal, touch battery Supply Post on side of solenoid, If it Fires you are not getting 12v to solenoid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts