Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, got a 77 CJ7 (with the 304) and we've got two gauges mounted below the dash that I'm wondering about. One is wired to a temp sender on the intake and the other has a tube attached that runs to the oil pressure gauge. We have the wiring for the electric oil pressure sender and a second temp sender on the intake. The service manual says both should be purple wires (with temp sender having a stripe) in the engine bay which we have. Why would there be two oil pressure gauges, and what's the tube for? Also seems strange to have two temp senders with no electric fan and only one gauge.

Attachments

· Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Those are aftermarket gauges. Jeep used Stewart Warner gauges and those are not.

Why have them? Because the others broke or were not trusted.

A mechanical oil gauge is quite popular as a retrofit. The nylon tube would have gone to a tee piece on the oil sender, possibly replacing the oil pressure switch. Seems to be disconnected.

I have just about every area covered on my auxiliary gauge pods on my Jeep J20.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Grille

Reactions: sawdust59

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha, I kind of thought they'd be aftermarket but that makes a lot of sense. The oil pressure gauge was busted so I could see adding another one in. I'm a little surprised there's no temp gauge, seems worth leaving installed. Thank you for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts