Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have been wanting to take the A/C out of my Jeep for a while, and I need some advice on how to do it. I plan on keeping the compressor and turning it into an onboard air system eventually. Let me know what you guys would do. Also, there no more Freon in it so that’s not an issue.

·
Super Moderator
23,133 Posts
Not to much to removing it. They are pretty much self contained. Not integrated with other parts of the Jeep.

The under dash drops down with just removing a few screws. I think there are 2 wires to the fuse box. One for power and one to turn on the compressor.
Disconnect the hoses and pull them through the firewall, then cover the holes up.

I can't recall how the condenser is installed. But I think that would be the hardest part.

Save the parts as someone might want to buy the AC for their jeep.

Which compressor do you have?

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which compressor do you have?
I'm honestly not sure, it's still cold here right now, planning of getting it all taken out later today. I know that I'll either have to add an oil fill if it's not a York compressor or go to a York compressor, and I think my best option is to add the oil fill.

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a sanden compressor

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sanden requires an a external oil source
Good to know. I'm planning to set something up so it puts a constant flow of oil through it, probably a small amount.

Also, if anybody is interested in buying a Freon canister, ac condenser and under dash assembly along with all the hoses I would be willing to sell it. I and keeping the compressor for onboard air, as I have already mentioned.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just my .02 cents but I would suggest selling it to someone who wants AC since it's complete and original. You'd make plenty of money to buy a new on board compressor I would think.

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just my .02 cents but I would suggest selling it to someone who wants AC since it's complete and original. You'd make plenty of money to buy a new on board compressor I would think.
You're probably right, but I think it would be easier for me to just run it as is. Then I don't have to mess with belts or anything, and I can just worry about running hoses. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
You live in California like a lot of us. Do you have a hardtop? If so, I would fix the AC it and keep it. They are simple systems that can easily be converted to R134 which is available and cheap. I like to drive my Jeep for fun, but on a 100+ day in Sacramento it is not that much fun. I have a Vintage Air gen IV that will be going in mine one of these days.

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You live in California like a lot of us. Do you have a hardtop? If so, I would fix the AC it and keep it. They are simple systems that can easily be converted to R134 which is available and cheap. I like to drive my Jeep for fun, but on a 100+ day in Sacramento it is not that much fun. I have a Vintage Air gen IV that will be going in mine one of these days.
Yes I do live in California and do have a hardtop, however my plan is that I will only be using the hardtop in the winter and will be using either bikini or no top and no doors in the summer months. The only time that they're might be overlap is fall, but I'll just have to deal with it then. I'd rather be able to help people out with air and also use it on my own tires whenever I air down.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Another thought is that you can still add an extra compressor fir air and keep the one you have for AC. There are probably people on here who have 2 compressors and there are also some really good electric options now days. I always like options. Another thing is that an AC unit while the heater is running makes an excellent defroster. It takes the moisture out of the air. I have also seen Jeeps with onboard welders running 2 alternators.

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that’s true, but I really don’t need the extra load on the engine, and since it’s already there I might as well use it. Additionally, the PO jacked up the ac under dash unit so it was garbage and didn’t work anyway

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
668 Posts
Under dash A/C unit, if the A/C part was not working, you could leave it attached and use the blower feature to help move air in the cab area?
Not sure if that works either, or if it is completely dead.

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does blow air, though noisy and not cold. For my uses, having an air compressor and still making as much power as possible is what I want. These engines don’t make enough hp to justify more parasitic draws.

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
668 Posts
Just having moving air when sitting in traffic, cold or not, is not a bad thing. Maybe clean the dirt out of the squirrel cage, a little oil on the shaft ends, and probably run for a few years. Nothing to do with your A/C compressor anymore, just a fan in the cab.
Just thinkin'

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You’re probably right. I might want to buy a new setup eventually, as this sits I already discarded the old one. I’ll be driving in a little under 6months so I’ll quickly find out if I need to replace it 😂

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the food for thought.

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
668 Posts
Oh my.......you will find, as rare as some of these Jeep parts are getting, save everything. Never know when an old under dash blower unit like that could have been traded to someone else for a part you have been looking for. Sometimes even original bolts are needed, and if someone has extras, you can barter trade to save cash for other items you need.
Just thinkin'

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I wish I’d have thought of that. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind. I did keep my distributor cap, old plug wires and coil after doing my ignition upgrades.

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
668 Posts
Much luck on your efforts, and when you are ready to drive legal, you have a ton of fun with your Jeep :)

Reactions: Mark29
1 - 19 of 19 Posts