Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of removing the wiring harness from the donor vehicle (1996 Cherokee 2wd auto) to put in a 1984 CJ7 4wd five speed. Do I need to dig these wires out from where ever they go in the dash or can I cut them? The CJ7 has an aftermarket wiring harness and stand alone aftermarket under dash heating and AC. I am not sure what those wires go to but it isn't the engine. All of that is in the under hood section of the harness. I did pull the ODBII plug through the firewall though so that's safe. It just looks like a lot of work to get to those plugs behind the dash inside

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Wheel
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So neither are necessary for the CJ7. It is a five speed and the wipers are already powered through the aftermarket harness. Cutting those shouldn't prevent the ECU from running the engine probably? I just will have to not install a Check Engine light because it will never be off.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I installed a 93 XJ 4.0 and both of those were cut out. You need "5 Wires to Fire" to run a 4.0 FI in a CJ7. Search the internet for 5 Wires to Fire to determine what to remove.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's the magic phrase (five wires to fire) that I read a little about. I'm just sending the donor to the scrap yard so I wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything I need or cut something I shouldn't. I have a spare 4.2 so I'm debating on doing a stroker. Checking into who/how much flashing the ecu is. This isn't a hotrod. It's simply a resto-mod where everything is new. It'll be a pavement queen and probably never see 4wd once but I still want to make sure everything is right.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to cut those two and save the TCM(U) just because it's right there. The donor shifted fine so maybe one day someone will need it. It's barely bigger than a pack of smokes so I'll throw it in a drawer somewhere. I get the feeling I'll remove all the wiring from the harness before installation just to keep everything clean and minimal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts