Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my efforts to restore the doors for my '78 CJ7, I ran across an issue of trying to find some replacement parts for the door glass.

Searching online it seems the little piece of plastic is called the regulator grommet.
Wood Jewellery Art Natural material Metal

It's the piece that snaps into the glass and allows the regulator slide to attach to via screws.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Wood

The ones on mine were pretty brittle and a few of the 'legs' had broken off and after getting my door back together and rolling the window up and down a few times the little grommet broke and will no longer retain itself in the glass hole it snaps into.
Apparently this little grommet is a discontinued part. Still available if you dig for it however pricey. About 25$ apiece

epay

epay

Interested to see if anyone has come up with something that works thats not so costly. TIA

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just so turns out that BMW uses a similar setup on some of their vehicles door glass as well. The holes in the glass turn out to be 1/2" in diameter same as our jeep glass. Replacement clips for these are readily available and about a $1.50 apiece.

I found several videos on Youtube on how they fix their issues and it works for our jeep as well
Outerwear Sleeve Font Denim Collar

The black clips are available from amazon. Just search for BMW X5 regulator clip

Then pickup a set of Hillman Truss Slotted 0.625 in License Plate Screws #884270 from Lowes

Azure Textile Sleeve Grey Wood

Automotive tire Wood Floor Flooring Road surface

Insert the license plate holder into the black clip

Blue Azure Black Sleeve Collar

Blue Wood Gas Electric blue Tints and shades

Use the supplied screw with the license plate kit from lowes to attach the regulator slide rail.

Blue Wood Bumper Gas Electric blue

Hopefully this will help someone in this situation fix their problem by not having to spend 25$ per grommet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It just so turns out that BMW uses a similar setup on some of their vehicles door glass as well. The holes in the glass turn out to be 1/2" in diameter same as our jeep glass. Replacement clips for these are readily available and about a $1.50 apiece.

I found several videos on Youtube on how they fix their issues and it works for our jeep as well

The black clips are available from amazon. Just search for BMW X5 regulator clip

Then pickup a set of Hillman Truss Slotted 0.625 in License Plate Screws #884270 from Lowes

Insert the license plate holder into the black clip

Use the supplied screw with the license plate kit from lowes to attach the regulator slide rail.

Hopefully this will help someone in this situation fix their problem by not having to spend 25$ per grommet.
Thank you, cjoffroad!
Definitely saved me some money! My only problem is that one of the license plate screws in each door came out, so I had to go back in. I used some #10 stainless machine screws, washers and nuts. Works like a charm! Don't forget a little grease in the track to keep things moving smoothly.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know where you can net new replacement slide rails? Or what the actual name or Part number would be.
I've seen them referred to as slide rails, guide rails, regulator track arm and any combination in between.
Unfortunately it looks like new ones are getting hard to find and quite costly.

New

Good used

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my efforts to restore the doors for my '78 CJ7, I ran across an issue of trying to find some replacement parts for the door glass.

Searching online it seems the little piece of plastic is called the regulator grommet.
View attachment 3870791
It's the piece that snaps into the glass and allows the regulator slide to attach to via screws.
View attachment 3870793
The ones on mine were pretty brittle and a few of the 'legs' had broken off and after getting my door back together and rolling the window up and down a few times the little grommet broke and will no longer retain itself in the glass hole it snaps into.
Apparently this little grommet is a discontinued part. Still available if you dig for it however pricey. About 25$ apiece

epay

epay

Interested to see if anyone has come up with something that works thats not so costly. TIA
Collins Brothers Jeep #20309K

1 - 16 of 16 Posts