Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete noob when it comes to this extensive modification so heres my situation...
I got an 83 Cj-5 I6cyl for $1700 and it runs great but the entire underbody is shot. its amazing that it drives the way it does. everything from the frame down is completely made of rust. :thumbdown:
I also got a 94 yj 4cyl it has 200k on it for $300:2thumbsup: and its tub is really beat up. I am a cj fanatic and want nothing more than to drive that one as my daily driver the PO drove it alot in upstate ny but I am not sure it will be safe because where the rear leaf springs meet the frame there are big holes and if I put a decent amout of pressure in most spots it breaks apart. basically im asking how i would go about putting the cj5 tub on the yj frame. is it possible and if so how? do you have any recomendations on what i should do with these jeeps? I basically at the very least want to end up with a sturdy cj5 with 33/35's as a daily driver. sorry about the rant but im going crazy here haha.:brickwall

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, you have to establish what type of rig you want, wheelbase, drivetrain etc.
If you want to keep the short cj5 wheelbase, then I'd just make a new frame. If you want to cut the cj5 tub some, then go with the YJ frame.
The YJ frame will already be set up for 2.5" wide springs, but you'll haveto do all new body mounts.

If it were me, I'd just build a new frame out of 2x3 or 2x4. Figure you'll have to do new body mounts either way and new motor/tranny/ mounts etc.

A new frame gives a nice square smooth weldable platform to build from FYI.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am gonna go with making one. im gonna keep the cj5 wheelbase, 258 inline and the four speed all the way they are. thanks for the advice. any recomendations on any suspention kits since i'll be starting from scratch? also if there's any kits for the steering i havent come across anything but i figured id ask thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts