Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought another 98 TJ a couple of weeks ago and have run into an issue. The cigarette lighter was actually stuck in the socket. I had to take the center dash apart and pry out the lighter.

Once I got everything cleared up, I checked the wiring and no power, as expected. I checked the fuses and #19 was blown. I replaced it and checked the wiring again to see if there was power. To my surprise, my test light came on and went off then back on. It was flashing like a turn signal, including the click you normally hear from the flasher relay. The clicking stops when I removed the test light.
Does anyone have an idea of what could possibly be causing this? It is almost like a short in the turn signal and cigarette lighter socket, but the turn signals work fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
You might be hearing the lighter/accessory relay clicking on and off -- it's located in the driver's footwell near the stack of electrical connectors on the outboard side, forward of the dash speaker. Normal operation has power passing through the ignition switch when it's in the run or accessory positions, that will cause the relay to energise and close the contacts to allow power to pass through from the PDC fuse 5 to the fuse block fuse 19. The relay is always grounded at gang ground G300, located just below the stack of electrical connectors mentioned earlier.

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,993 Posts
Did you figure it out?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not resolved this yet. For now, I have added a second power outlet and have unplugged the cigarette lighter.

Based on mukluk's comments, I am now wondering if it isn't a ground issue. That is my next check. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.