Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chrystler voided the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on my Jeep

4K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  DirtKar 
#1 ·
I specifically get my oil changes at the Jeep dealership so that there is ongoing service record. Part of that service is vehicle inspection, visual, brakes, fluids etc. When a service technician told me those inspections were sufficient to maintain the warranty, I believed him. Big mistake!

Then I learn that there is a special inspection required specifically to extend the warranty. Turns out the LOCAL dealership is responsible for sending postcard notification of the 60 day window to inspect. I did not receive any such notification.

I've owned several Jeep, but this was the first NEW car I ever bought. The warranty was the only selling point, and now it seems I've lost it. Did I read the warranty cover-to-cover? Admittedly, no. I had no idea that any action was required on my part to maintain the warranty.

I guess, I'm wondering if this has happened to others and is there any recourse or tolerance of Chrsyler's part to extend the inspection period?

Noy Hadar

#2 ·
I think you are probably out of luck. There are a lot of "shoulda's" involved in this but the biggest is that you shoulda read the documentation and asked questions about the warranty. The postcards sent and such are just "nice" things the dealer shoulda done to have good customer service.
You could really nicely try talking with the dealer service manager and maybe try calling up the phone chain with chrysler customer service and see if anyone will bend the rules for you but I doubt it. They offered the warranty as a way to create a better image for chrysler at a time they were hurting and they are happy to get out of as many of them as they possibly can and that is why they have the very strict rules with it. It was a selling point but not a good long term plan otherwise everyone would offer lifetime warranties.

#3 ·
:cool: I don't know about the "NEW" jeeps, but-

My '08 had a 5yr inspection required, for certification of the warranty's validity--if you missed it--SAYONARA !

If you've made any mods to the powertrain, you're probably outta luck anyway--

I was--Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

#5 ·
Yeah that is pretty much the consensus...not worth the paper they are printed on. Even if you got your inspection, they would pretty much deny any claims unless your Jeep is totally stock and maintained by the dealer or have ALL documentation to prove maintenance was done, including any receipts from AZ for oil and filters. Sorry, man. At least from what I've read.

#8 ·
This was my thread about it:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/lifetime-powertrain-warranty-voided-2310977/

I learned what you are learning, dealership you bought Jeep from will send out reminders, they do not have to, if you didn't get it, tough.

HOWEVER, Jeep listened. I had my receipt from a 23 point inspection that I requested when the Jeep was in for another service (EGR Valve replacement).

During this visit they failed to tell me about the pending lifetime powertrain warranty inspection, even though I requested the 23 point..you have to actually ask for the powertrain warranty inspection, they are not the same.

Since I had my service records and requested a vehicle inspection within the window for the powertrain inspection and the dealership failed to correctly run my VIN and notify me of the pending inspection, I was granted my warranty back. PIA, but Jeep did listen and made it right. Nothing for you to lose man! Many people will tell you no and you are out of luck, but it is definitely worth a shot.

#10 ·
Since I had my service records and requested a vehicle inspection within the window for the powertrain inspection and the dealership failed to correctly run my VIN and notify me of the pending inspection, I was granted my warranty back. PIA, but Jeep did listen and made it right. Nothing for you to lose man! Many people will tell you no and you are out of luck, but it is definitely worth a shot.
That's good to hear that I could potentially appeal to the right person. But who re-instated your warranty, was it done on the local dealership level or was Jeep or Chrysler Corporate?

I absolutely do not plan on taking this lying down. Forget the courtesy reminder, I find it completely sneaky and tacky to not properly notify the buyers AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE, as they are pitching this "incredible incentive" to begin with.

I am expecting a callback from a customer service supervisor at Chrysler today or tomorrow. I don't expect that to go well, and I guess I'll be writing letter to anyone in that organization that will listen. These guys should absolutely have been more responsible in making sure each owner was aware of this requirement. Anything else is is perfectly legal, but I find completely distasteful. Hoping this doesn't sour my image of this company.

#9 ·
You might be out of luck here, but I would consider this malpractice by the dealership.

If you went to the doctor's office every 4 months for a routine checkup, and he failed to remind you that you need a heart transplant, he would clearly be sued for malpractice. I would contact the Chrysler question center directly on this... It probably wasn't Chrysler's fault, but instead a ****ty dealership.

#11 ·
You might be out of luck here, but I would consider this malpractice by the dealership.

If you went to the doctor's office every 4 months for a routine checkup, and he failed to remind you that you need a heart transplant, he would clearly be sued for malpractice. I would contact the Chrysler question center directly on this... It probably wasn't Chrysler's fault, but instead a ****ty dealership.
Do you seriously believe medical malpractice and car dealer practices are on the same level?

#19 ·
I figured Jeep would contact him. They're usually not trying to weasel their way out of these contracts. It's just... incompetence on the dealer/mechanic side...

If you guys remember about a month ago, there was a guy over in England where the dealer wouldn't honor his warranty because he drove his Jeep offroad a couple times. Jeep contacted him there to remedy the situation as well. And unless he was 'disappeared' by Chrysler, they must have made things right, because he didn't come back to complain.

#20 ·
I just want to update this post that JeepCares was very gracious about helping me with getting the required inspection and reinstate the warranty. Thank you Andrea for all your help and support!! :)

#23 ·
thanks for updating us! Jeep does monitor this forum and they do try to make things right since brand loyalty is a big part of sales for jeep.

Shouldn't need to come down to posting about it on an internet forum to get things taken care of though, but everyone makes mistakes.

#24 ·
:cool: YUP, everybody makes mistakes---but

thanks for updating us! Jeep does monitor this forum and they do try to make things right since brand loyalty is a big part of sales for jeep.

Shouldn't need to come down to posting about it on an internet forum to get things taken care of though, but everyone makes mistakes.
Requesting advice/posting results/remedies/giving opinions on a FORUM--is notta mistake-

I'm sure you were referring to something else--right ?

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.