1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Information
Price $1500
Rating 4
Average Price $752.89
Manufacturer Chrysler
Recommended Yes: 12 / No: 0

Chrysler made three speed auto with torque converter lockup.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Price $1500
Rating 4
Recommended yes

Comments: Needed a complete rebuild and torque converter at 106,000 but I think it was due to the previous owner's neglect. Would not trade it for another manual out on the trail!

·
Retired
2004 Jeep Wrangler
72,544 Posts
Price $800
Rating 4
Recommended yes

Comments: Converted from a 5-speed manual to the 32RH version of the TF-999 which is what comes on 4.0L Wranglers up until 2002. It's an outstanding and reliable transmission, especially for tougher trails like for rock crawling. I give it a 9 out of 10 only because it is only a 3-speed and not a 4-speed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rating 4
Recommended yes

Comments: Some hate it, some love it! I love it. Only the orinal de-aeration sits to low in the transmission. This can be easi'ly adjsuted by your self. Search on Tf 727. And you will find instructions to convert your de-aeration!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Price $100
Pros direct fit bullet proof not the 999 but the TF727
Cons cant think of one.
Recommended yes

Comments: TF-727 strong bullet proof trans. Direct fit just hasve to change the clocking of the transfer case. Also must have a 4 inch lift or front drive shaft will hit pan while off roading.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Price $950
Pros Built to live and stay cool
Cons kinda expensive, light throttle 2-3 shift quality
Wish it had OD!
Recommended yes

Comments: Had my stock trans rebuilt by a local wizard. Transgo stage 2 shift kit, nice internals, 400 rpm lower than stock converter, relocated the vent myself.

Shifts are virtual instant, and very much firmer than stock.

Only complaint is the 2-3 shift is a bit firm at very light throttle. Under accel, and offroad, this trans shifts excellent.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Price $350
Pros cheap, easy to find parts for. Neighbor knows them in and out
Cons none yet
Recommended yes

Comments: Have to love an auto on the trail!!! Dont knock it till you try it.
Also good my neighbor knows these well. Save me allot of money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Price $1
Pros Fairly low gearing mated with the stock dana 300 T-Case and stock axle gears
Its a stock jeep auto
Cons Screams down the highway at 60 thus this trans is hard on fuel mileage
Recommended yes

Comments: My 85 CJ-7 came factory with this transmission. Part of the selling point of this jeep was the auto trans. I am perfectly capable of driving a stick and enjoy it for beating up and down the road, however offroad I dont want to have to worry about shifting gears midway through a mudhole or halfway up a hill. Just personal preferance.

2 concerns I had with this trans were 1. finding parts for a rebuild and 2. its a chrysler which dont have the best reputations
I was able to find the rebuild for it with little trouble and since being rebuilt it has perfomed well... Knock on wood

·
Registered
201 Posts
Price $3000
Pros The most versitile transmission ever made.
Cons Kinda clunks into 3rd sometimes
Recommended yes

Comments: I really think this was the best transmission ever designed. I love that I can go from 5 to 80mph using the same gear and the engine has absolutely no problem hauling it. This might be the complete opposite of economical, but I am going to say that this transmission will always be there for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Price $70
Pros Increased fluid capacity and has a drain plug.
Cons Need to drop the skid to remove the pan during filter servicing. Not a big deal, but makes the job longer than it should be.
Recommended yes

Comments: Like the increased fluid capacity of the Mopar Deep Trans Pan and the drain plug feature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.