Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was curious here. I have an 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Soent the last 4 1.2 years repairing major things like rusted floors, frame gas tank stuff. Suspension. Ball joints and bearings. And lots of major leaks.

But one thing i have not had time for is the intake manifold leaks. The intake leaks oil in the front you know those bottom lips that usually have a rubber gaskey. It leaks fairly bad there. Enough to drip on the ground when parked and splatter along the engine black when driving.

The other leaks are two very rear bolts ( one left and right) they leak coolant and the front right bolt leaks coolant. The front one is getting a little worse.

I just dont have the finances right now to fix this properly. It doesnt leak inside the engine thankfully (coolant i mean) just outside the bolts.

Could i just clean it up really good with a wire brush and some brake cleaner to get the oils and sruff off.. and take some silicone and lather the bolt head and around the head to keep the coolant from leaking out of the head of the bolt ?

Same with the intake bottom where its leaking oil. Soray brake clean and wipe it all down really good and just lather the lip in silicone like (the right stuff which cures fast) and see if these temp fixes stop the leaks.

I know its ghetto but again i dont hsve the time ir money atm to take the intake off and replace this. Ive done an intake before on my 98 5.9 Grand cherokee replacing the gasket and the pan with the thicker alluminum pan. And it only took me a day to do.

But i just have this odd feeling ima break half a dozen bolts on this iron intake and i dont wanna mess with it right now.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Here's my take on what you described (in spite of the fact a mod will probably relocate this thread...)I am assuming the bolts you refer to enter the water jacket at the threaded end. Drain the coolant low enough so the bolts can be removed without water going everywhere...(you can reuse it after finishing if you keep it clean, btw). Allow the threads in the block to dry out...Chase the threads in the block with a tap/chase if you have one. Clean off the bolt threads. Use a teflon-based thread sealant on the bottom 1/2" of the bolt and re torque...when done put the coolant back in. Any attempt to seal the top or outside of the bolt will fail due to the pressure in the system when hot.

Not likely ANY way to seal the oil, for long...you'll never get the oil under the manifold out (without removal) so the edge of your 'sealing' will always fail. Oil will just drip out somewhere a little further away. You can slow it down, IF it's not a pressure leak, and just oozing though, and that might make you happier for a while.

Anyway, I don't have that specific engine...but what I have suggested is generally accurate from similar issues on other motors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.