Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I got my first 4x4 ('85 Nissan 720 p/u), the center caps were rusty, so I ditched 'em and haven't used 'em since. Although, my '97 Ram 1500 4x4 had some in great shape (just kept 'em nice on that truck for the 15 years I had it). I found that the [aftermarket chrome] center caps usually got scratched from lug wrenches, then the rust ensued. Those factory Jeep caps are a much better design to avoid those issues, however.

Not having the center caps also makes the rims look deeper, therefore wider and bigger, if that's at all important.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I shot my rims with White appliance epoxy, straight, w/ no primer, in rattle cans on Jeep #3

Held up well for 3-4 years.

I was poorer and had fewer resources available then, than I do now.

I prepped them on a utility trailer using brush on paint remover (whatever brand it was, it bubbled it all up), the carwash wand, and a good washing with "Dawn" dish soap!

-----JEEPFELLER

Attachments

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I painted mine with Rustoleum Industrial Coating matte black. I painted them in the heat of the summer and used scratch filling gray primer first. Preparation is the key. I did one wheel at a time and pressure washed each wheel before spraying and let it dry overnight. Then I primed it and wet sanded it and touched it up if needed. I let the primer dry overnight. The next morning I would put a light coat of black paint every couple of hours until I was happy with the covering usually after the third or fourth spray and let it dry overnight. At one point I was cleaning or painting all three wheels at one time. I had ordered new tires and a spare wheel from my go to tire dealer. He had mounted one tire to the new wheel so I only painted three wheels. I was going to repaint them last summer before I put the new beauty rings on it but they still look good. If you get a nick or small scratch on a black wheel you can touch it up with a black permanent marker.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hows that cap supposed to attach? A flange on the wheel centerbore? For that style of wheel, the typical cap is just a stamped steel chrome job, that slips in from behind and the wheel itself holds it on. You find out if you have a lazy tire tech or not, if he didn't tweak them to stop them from rattling. lol

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Those Jeep center caps attach to the wheel with five screws, from the backside of the wheel. If you have access to an OEM wheel with the holes for the center caps, it would be pretty easy to make a template from it, and then transfer the hole locations to the non drilled wheels. Otherwise, you need to take some measurements from the cap, and then do a little layout work & math to locate the holes on your non drilled wheels.

I have some OEM wheels with the cap holes drilled, let me know if you want me to make a template for you.

Reactions: caseypotts

·
Premium Member
9,608 Posts
Use a compass to determine where each mounting hole needs to be by drawing a Pentagon. Do it on a piece of paper first to determine the arc needed to transfer to the wheel. It will be the most precise way to insure the Jeep center caps are actually on center.

White Triangle Font Symmetry Parallel

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those Jeep center caps attach to the wheel with five screws, from the backside of the wheel. If you have access to an OEM wheel with the holes for the center caps, it would be pretty easy to make a template from it, and then transfer the hole locations to the non drilled wheels. Otherwise, you need to take some measurements from the cap, and then do a little layout work & math to locate the holes on your non drilled wheels.

I have some OEM wheels with the cap holes drilled, let me know if you want me to make a template for you.
Axhammer that would be great if you have time to do that. I got rid of all my original rims years ago. No rush at all! Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Ok, easy enough for me to do. Do you have all four caps? Just curious, I have seen a few caps with broken screws stuck inside the holes, I guess with the jeeps being so old now, the screws will corrode and break easily.

I lucked out and found 4 like new caps on CL for $100. It looks like mine were in storage since the eighties. The guy I bought them from said he got them from a storage auction years ago, and didn’t know what they fit.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You can rattle can them but they will not last (more or less depending on where you live). If you want white, just buy the cheap factory white wheels. If you want to keep the wheels you have, take them to a local powder coater and have them done correctly.

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
Weapons on to something, powder coat is a much better option (after drilling for the caps) but that said, you will get a much better product by painting the wheels yourself (correctly) than you will from cheap aftermarket white rims (longevity wise)

And if you are going that far, you should do the pinstripe too. @keith460 can help you with that as well

Hoss

·
Premium Member
9,608 Posts
I have seen a few caps with broken screws stuck inside the holes, I guess with the jeeps being so old now, the screws will corrode and break easily.
Totally Stainless will have the correct OEM screws. In stainless of course. Just use anti-seize compound when installing. They are Indented Hex Washer Head Screws, 10-24 x 5/8" L.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Schematic

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Drill them out, but you better be good with a drill in your hand. Use a good sharp bit, drill slowly (slow RPM) using a cutting oil. Aim the drill bit towards the center of the screw. How much is sticking outside? You might try a drill press, but either way it’s going to take sharp bits and patience.

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
658 Posts
And before drilling, try to center punch the screw, so you have a solid point to begin drilling. Just a thought...

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, easy enough for me to do. Do you have all four caps? Just curious, I have seen a few caps with broken screws stuck inside the holes, I guess with the jeeps being so old now, the screws will corrode and break easily.

I lucked out and found 4 like new caps on CL for $100. It looks like mine were in storage since the eighties. The guy I bought them from said he got them from a storage auction years ago, and didn't know what they fit.
I have 2 sets I have been holding on to that dont have broken screws but need a little love.

You can rattle can them but they will not last (more or less depending on where you live). If you want white, just buy the cheap factory white wheels. If you want to keep the wheels you have, take them to a local powder coater and have them done correctly.
Likely will end up buying new rims.

Weapons on to something, powder coat is a much better option (after drilling for the caps) but that said, you will get a much better product by painting the wheels yourself (correctly) than you will from cheap aftermarket white rims (longevity wise)

And if you are going that far, you should do the pinstripe too. @keith460 can help you with that as well

Hoss
Was thinking about that as well.

Totally Stainless will have the correct OEM screws. In stainless of course. Just use anti-seize compound when installing. They are Indented Hex Washer Head Screws, 10-24 x 5/8" L.

View attachment 4020121
Thanks Keith!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
If you powder coat put some old screws threaded from the back side of the wheel in the new holes. You don't want female threads powder coated.

·
Premium Member
9,608 Posts
And before drilling, try to center punch the screw, so you have a solid point to begin drilling. Just a thought...
I removed a few broken screws on my center caps just by using a center punch and hammer to turn them out counterclockwise. No need for drilling but at least soak the broken screws with PB Blaster beforehand.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Keith’s right on this, sometimes I am sling loaded to the worst case scenario. Always start with the least invasive option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts