Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1361 - 1380 of 1403 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,361 ·
Yep, pound for pound cats are super bad a$$es .

Jeff, in my many years, I have seen cats go head to head and toe to toe with really big dogs and I don't ever remember the dogs ever winning .

It's like they are super fast boxers, with 5 switch blades on each front paw and if they get under an oppenent they will rake the hell out of them with their back feet/claws .

A mean/tough cat will calmly march straight up to a big dog and mentally tell it go ahead and try to f*ck with me .

If you want to ever see a really wild fight then watch two big Tom cats go at it .

Cats are like animal Ninjas or something IMHO .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,363 ·
Damn it man, that pizza sure looks good .
The egg is a very cool touch, but I think it needs a little black pepper on it .:smile2:

Have you done anything with the rabbit hutches yet ?

Is you kitty a house cat yet ?

Spooky actually let me pet her for a short time last night .

If she will let me de-flea her I will invite her to start coming in the house and visit for a little while .

As always Hash, I hope all is well and good for you and your peeps .

Phit

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,096 Posts
Damn it man, that pizza sure looks good .
The egg is a very cool touch, but I think it needs a little black pepper on it .:smile2:

Have you done anything with the rabbit hutches yet ?

Is you kitty a house cat yet ?

Spooky actually let me pet her for a short time last night .

If she will let me de-flea her I will invite her to start coming in the house and visit for a little while .

As always Hash, I hope all is well and good for you and your peeps .

Phit
No, I haven't done anything with the hutches we had a wind storm awhile back and a limb fell through the shed where I was going to put them and I can't find the time to fix it.

That cat will continue to live outside, Al felt sorry for it and made me build it a house with a heating pad in it. We are covered in snow at the moment and wind chill will be minus 20 in the morning. Temps like that are really rare for here and has kept us busy cutting firewood.

Our bunch is healthy and happy hope you are the same.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,365 ·
Hash, I suspected you folks up North of me were having a very rough time now weather wise as we have been getting some of your leftovers here for about a month or more now .

My last electric bill was 177 dollars and I have been living here for over 25 years and have never had one over 90 bucks before .

I only use small ceramic space heaters and I only use then in the room I am in .

It's been cold enough here lately that I have been running one almost all day to keep my kitchen at 40 degrees because a refrig will quit working at 33 degees or so depending on how you have it set .

When it does it's no big deal for the refrig part, but it plays Hell on the food in the freezer part of it .

Global warming my a$$ .

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. Steel wool, dish soap and water to remove flash rust.
2. Lard (or bacon) to season.
3. Try to find an old Wagner cast iron frying pan at a yard sale. It will beat the pants off that Lodge frying pan.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,369 ·
Try to find an old Wagner cast iron frying pan at a yard sale. It will beat the pants off that Lodge frying pan.
Or almost any of the 60's + ones .

I paid like 15 bucks for my first new lodge pan and after many uses it still worked like crap because the bottom was not milled down like the old ones were .

I let it sit for years and finally decided to see if I could use a drill with grinding disc, sandpapper, steel wool etc. to make the bottom of the pan smooth and not so damn gritty .

It worked, but I spent many hours trying to make a 15 dollar Lodge pan work way better than it was made .

I pretty much only use my old skillets and fryer now but once in a while I use my 25 year old Lodge because the bottom and sides are smooth now after much work on it .

It's like night and day between the old stuff and the new stuff folks IMO .

No lie peeps .

The only new Lodge that I might would buy now would be a DO but I would do a real search for an older DO first .

Phitonit

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
I have a four year old Lodge that has been used almost every day since we got it.

It is smooth as glass and works great.

I fully understand the how and why of the old ones, but this Lodge is great.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The only newer lodge I currently use is a large #14. It is pretty smooth compared to some of the newer Lodges I have seen. I have cleaned and sold a lot of really old Lodge, from when they first started and they are very nice skillets. I have a mixed bag in my cabinet that I routinely cook with. A #12 Wagner Ware, an old unmarked #10 with hear ring, an old "national" (WW) #9 and an old Iron Mtn. (Griswold) #9. I have Wagner deep #8 "chicken fryer" and an old BS&R #5. (plus the #14 above). I also have a #12 Lodge camp oven that I used a couple times a year, not as often as I'd like. The last piece that I keep for use is a very large Griswold griddle. I can't remember now the number on it but it will almost completely cover my stove top.

If anyone is really bored here is a link to a lot of the stuff I first started selling on Ebay several year ago. There is also some picture of my electrolysis system towards the end. It's a 55 gallon plastic drum lined with SS sheet metal. It has cleaned several hundred skillets.

http://s823.photobucket.com/user/flyin-lowe/library/Cast Iron restoration?sort=3&page=1

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,372 ·
I have a four year old Lodge that has been used almost every day since we got it.

It is smooth as glass and works great.

I fully understand the how and why of the old ones, but this Lodge is great.
That is because you have used it many, many times now and built up a coating/layers of patina on it and filled in the major imperfections in it's bottom .

If my old pan and your pan were rusted and stipped together at the same time my pan would be fine and smooth again in a day or so and ready to cook stick free .

Your pan would take a lot longer time to build up it's smoothness again .

JMHO

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
That is because you have used it many, many times now and built up a coating/layers of patina on it and filled in the major imperfections in it's bottom .

If my old pan and your pan were rusted and stipped together at the same time my pan would be fine and smooth again in a day or so and ready to cook stick free .

Your pan would take a lot longer time to build up it's smoothness again .

JMHO
But, my pan would kick your pan's ***. :grin2:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Did some fishing with the little one this weekend, and of course the fish fry that came after.

Nothing special about the fish fry, old bay and flour.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Maybe not, mine is a very old dimpled deep chicken fryer with a matching lid .:smile2:

Who really cares though ?

I really like mine and you are quite happy with yours too and that is a win, win for the both of us .
I know Phit, I just like to give you a little hell once in a while, mostly to make sure you are awake.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,379 ·
I know Phit, I just like to give you a little hell once in a while, mostly to make sure you are awake.
At my age and lifestyle choices in life Jeff, alive might be a better word to use than awake .

I wasn't to bad, but for a while there I did some stupid things before I grew up some .

I blame it on women mostly :shhh: .

Where is Nuthin, damn it ? :frown2:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,380 ·
Jeff, aren't you the one that bought the new to you lake house retreat ?

If so, how is that going and have you popped the cherry on the fire pit and done a real cook yet ?

1361 - 1380 of 1403 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.