Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1061 - 1080 of 1403 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,062 ·
Thanks for the tip on the black strap molasses and grits .

I am a big fan of BSM and can take regular canned porking beans, cook some onion bits, add beans, BSM and pig down .

Hash is there a ratio of mixture that I can go by or do you just do it by eye and feel ?

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the black strap molasses and grits .

I am a big fan of BSM and can take regular canned porking beans, cook some onion bits, add beans, BSM and pig down .

Hash is there a ratio of mixture that I can go by or do you just do it by eye and feel ?
Not really I just pour a line over the top of the grits and mix it up. My Grandpa always made molasses so it was a staple on our table when I was growing up. We had biscuits or homemade bread of some sort with most of our meals. One of my favorite things was to cut a couple of patties of butter and drizzle it with molasses smash it together with a fork then spread it on the bread. I guess if I had to pick my last meal that would be a part of it.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,064 ·
Not really I just pour a line over the top of the grits and mix it up. My Grandpa always made molasses so it was a staple on our table when I was growing up. We had biscuits or homemade bread of some sort with most of our meals. One of my favorite things was to cut a couple of patties of butter and drizzle it with molasses smash it together with a fork then spread it on the bread. I guess if I had to pick my last meal that would be a part of it.
So I am quessing now that you are adding the BSM, on the serving, on the plate and not to the whole batch ?

Sorry, I wasn't thinking .

To each their own at the table with the BSM right ?

I may now have to try making my next grits cassorole with BSM added just for the fun of it .

Yum

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
So I am quessing now that you are adding the BSM, on the serving, on the plate and not to the whole batch ?

Sorry, I wasn't thinking .

To each their own at the table with the BSM right ?

I may now have to try making my next grits cassorole with BSM added just for the fun of it .

Yum
That's right just on a single serving. Hell give it a try let us know how it goes.

·
10,676 Posts
I really like that casserole but I absolutely love grits! You get much farther north of here people don't seem to care much for grits and actually seem sort of confused by them. I figure the probably don't know how to cook them or never had grits made well.
I'd say you're correct on that. I don't know where to get them around here. In fact, I'm not so sure I've ever even had them.

:eek:

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
I like polenta! :D

SCENE 4
The Kitchen

GUESTS: Lilly Belle Bannister
Gino Antonelli
Once the polenta broth comes to a boil, we will very, very slowly sprinkle in 1 cup of our cornmeal. Why is this important? Well by pouring slowly in a stream, you insure that each little granule is going to be quickly surrounded by hot liquid. And that will help create a pudding-like texture. If you just dumped the meal all in at once, you're going to have lumps. [POLENTA] [GRITS] 1 Cup Coarse
Ground
Cornmeal And here's where we deviate from standard operating procedure. Clamp on the lid and move this to a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, okay? Now this is a real departure from the grit procedure, but I really think that polenta ought to have an almost custard-like texture, and I think the best way to get that is low, even heat from all the way around, and very little agitation. We will stir this, though, but only about every 10 minutes. That means 4 stirrings. Yeah, that's right.
350° For 40 Minutes
When the milk and water combo comes just to a boil, go ahead and sprinkle in 1 cup of cornmeal. Now unlike polenta, I like grits to have a slightly heavier, starchier kind of feel to them. And to get that, I'm going to cook them over direct heat with frequent agitation. There. I'm just going to clamp on the cover. We're going to cook this for 20 to 25 minutes, but we're going to come back and stir every 2 to 3 minutes. The key is to keep this heat as low as you can get it. 1 Cup Coarse
Ground
Cornmeal
25 minutes later ...
And our grits are done. They're creamy, but still just a little bit al dente. But hey, contrast is good. Now, I'm going to add 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter just as we do to the polenta, and work that in gently. Give a taste and then we'll adjust the salt. Okay, just a little bit. [POLENTA] [GRITS] 4 Tbs. Unsalted
butter Now you can enjoy these as is, or you can enjoy them even more by adding 4 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese. I like the sharp kind, but add it a little bit at a time so that it has time to melt. There. 4 Ounces Of
Cheddar Cheese
Grated Now that our grits are finished, it's time to turn our attention to the polenta, which is ready to come out of the oven. However, that doesn't mean it's done; we still have a lot of flavor to add to this pot of corn.
Now we work in 3 tablespoons of butter. Softened will go in a lot faster. And 2 ounces of grated parmesan cheese, and no, I don't mean the stuff in the green can. A few grinds of Pepper... [POLENTA] [GRITS] 3 Tbs. Unsalted
butter
2 Ounces Parmesan
Cheese Grated
1/4 tsp. Freshly
Ground Black
Pepper And now, the corny truth. Bon Appetit. [he places the polenta in front of an Italian and the grits in front of a southern belle]
LILLY BANNISTER:
Thank You.
GINO ANTONELLI: Graci.
LB: Why, despite a rather disquieting yellow hue, these grits are delightful.
GA: Bene polenta. Graci.
AB: Prego. But I think you mean molto bene, big guy.
GA: Pretty Lady, how do you like-a the polenta?
LB: I don't know what you mean, I assure you, but the grits are delightful.
GA: Aposo?
LB: Please. May I?
GA: Ah, si.
LB: Why that's dinner grits, only grittier.
GA: It's-a smooth and-a cheesy. You eat-a for breakfast?
LB: Every day but Sunday.
AB: Well, there's nothing a Southern born boy like me likes to see more than food-born hospitality.
LB: Pardon me, did you say that you're from the South?
AB: Yes.
GA: Perhaps Southern California.
LB: Southern Florida.
AB: Okay, that's funny. Molti Buffo.

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/season8/grits/true_grit_trans.htm

·
10,676 Posts
Good point. I haven't set out to find them in a store but will keep that in mind next time I'm stocking up on groceries. In restaurants, I haven't noticed them mentioned on the menu.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,395 Posts
Good point. I haven't set out to find them in a store but will keep that in mind next time I'm stocking up on groceries. In restaurants, I haven't noticed them mentioned on the menu.
About the only place in Illinois that I have seen them on the menu is Cracker Barrel. They used to come with every breakfast, but I haven't had them come with my last few. I think they probably got tired of dumping out full bowls because no one ate them.

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
I'd say you're correct on that. I don't know where to get them around here. In fact, I'm not so sure I've ever even had them.

:eek:
Just look for coarse stone ground corn meal.
No, not the quick cooking kind. If it's white
it comes from hominy. Either will work, and
cook the same way. 1 cup stone ground corn
meal, to 1 quart liquid.

Look up shrimp and grits. Me, I make polenta!
Basically savory grits.

Polenta

Ingredients:

1 tablespoons olive oil
1 finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 quart chicken stock or broth
1 cup coarse ground cornmeal
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces Parmesan, grated

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large, oven-safe saucepan heat the olive oil
over medium heat. Add the onion and salt and
sweat until the onions begin to turn translucent,
approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to
low, add the garlic, and saute for 1 to 2 minutes,
making sure the garlic does not burn.

Turn the heat up to high, add the chicken stock,
bring to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal while
continually whisking. Once you have added all of
the cornmeal, cover the pot and place it in the oven.

Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 mins.
to prevent lumps. Once the mixture is creamy,
remove from the oven and add the butter, salt,
and pepper. Once they are incorporated,
gradually add the Parmesan.

-Alton Brown

·
10,676 Posts
@Fourtrail - My wife loves CB. Next time we go, I'll see if they can whip me up some. :)
@XJ99 - That seems fairly simple. I'll have to give it a try!

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
No Lizard's Thicket that I know of. We do have Backyard BBQ,
Allen and Son's! Not chains, but really good BBQ!

We're riding down to SC on Saturday, and eating lunch at Shuller's!
http://www.shulersbbq.com/pages/menu

As for Mathew we lost power on Saturday at 1:00pm, and it came
back on at 6:00pm on Monday. Lots of down trees and some flooding.
It was way worse further East!

I kept the fridge going with my inverter setup!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/my-inverter-set-up-3632273/

I think I'm going to look in to one of those small 2000w inverter
generators that are super quiet to pull fridge duty. I can run everything
else I need with the inverter!

1061 - 1080 of 1403 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.