Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1041 - 1060 of 1403 Posts

·
Curses! Foiled again!!
16,290 Posts
Roe is just poor man's caviar. If you like caviar, you'll probably like roe.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
For dinner tonight.

Tamale Pie, going back into the oven for about 20/30 more minutes.

The bottom has baked cornbread made with sweet cream corn, and some sour cream mixed into it. Topped with red sauce, seasoned cooked ground beef, with white onion, then three types of cheeses, a little more red sauce, black olives, and chopped green onion.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,055 ·
Damn it man, first you show me a picture of a grilled " massive 44 ounce bone in ribeye " then you show the dog and say " my little dog had a bite and went to sleep " so naturally my thoughts were either Jeff is a very, very bad cook or that is a very sick puppy dog .

My bad :rofl:

·
Corripe Cervisiam
7,457 Posts
What oil would be the best oil to use to season cast iron
I'm about 2 years late on this reply, but I thought I'd throw in grape seed oil. It has a really high smoking point. I welded in a steel baffle to my offset smoker and seasoned it with grape seed oil. Of course after a few sessions of cooking brisket and ribs, the new steel was as black as the rest of the pit anyhow.

I digress. For new cast iron pan I'd use corn or vegetable oil. Keep it simple. However the initial seasoning process isn't really as important as how you treat the pan during its lifetime: Minimal soap only on rare occasion, light scrubbing, if any. I usually just rinse mine out and dry them on the gas cooktop. If I want to shine them up then I'll drop in a tiny amount of oil and spread it around with a napkin.

I did recently figure out one great trick for cleaning pans of all kinds (iron, aluminum, non stick, etc) Get a plastic cup and use its flat top (or bottom) to scour the pan. Turn the cup upside down, put in pan, apply pressure, and side it around with some water in the pan. It will help knock off the food bits from the pan, and because the cup is round, it reaches into the round edges of the pans. If you've already got a cup to be washed anyhow, use that.

Like I said, 2 years late, but that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,058 ·
I haven't made it in many months so tonight I made Sausage & Cheese Grits Casserole.

I cooked the sausage in my CI fryer and threw them in the cooked grits in a big pot with the other stuff, mix it all up good and put it in a big casserole dish and threw it in the oven at 350 .

It will be done in about 15 minutes .The basic recipe that I use is below but I add a more sausage .

http://www.plainchicken.com/2011/02/sausage-cheese-grits-casserole.html

Edit: I used half the amount of Garlic Powder called for and in the future I am going to just obmit it .

I used 1 lb of Jimmy Dean's hot sausage and 1 lb of JD's sage sausage and there are enought spices in it that I see no need for garlic powder and I really don't like GP much anyway .

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,096 Posts
I really like that casserole but I absolutely love grits! You get much farther north of here people don't seem to care much for grits and actually seem sort of confused by them. I figure the probably don't know how to cook them or never had grits made well.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,060 ·
Some of the folks that live in the low country area here love grits with small shrimp in them .

I tried it once and wasn't really thrilled about it .

Two weeks ago I had grits, country ham and a couple of eggs .

It was a very good meal .

1041 - 1060 of 1403 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.