Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 1403 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have spent years both doing it and reading up on it on the puter .

And there are many ways to do it with good results .

I am from very, very old Southern families and they just made a very hot fire and put it in the coals until it practically glowed or did .

If there were defects in it, it cracked and if not you were good to go with a reseasoning or two .

I am not a newbie on this BTW and have very old high dollar stuff that I have restored to near new .

There is old school and there are new school ways and to each their own .

For example you can do this with a cheap battery charger or a car battery and this link is more way complicated than what it takes maybe but it is from Griswold .

http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros_1.php

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Mol, have you done anything with your old Griswold yet ?

When you go to oil it and bake it in, put the pan upside down so the oil doesn't pool and make uneven spots .

Also put a drip pan/tray/pizza pan or something under it to catch any drips during the process .

Did you ever measure it because I want to see if I can find it on the net .

I have been using mine a fair amount lately and used it tonight to fry hamburger meat for some Burritos .

They were pretty good eats BTW .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
How do you know it's a griswold, btw? It says Erie on the bottom, or are they one and the same? Pardon my ignorance.
I don't know for a fact that it is, that was why I wanted to know about it's size so I could research it more and now that I know that it is 11 inchs I have more to go on .

Look at the ones below and see if you can find a close match .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261213805061?lpid=82

Some G info below .

http://www.griswoldcookware.com/unde...g_griswold.htm

http://www.castironcollector.com/griswoldtm.php

·
...is this real life?
594 Posts
After mine is reasonably clean, I just spray a little PAM on it after drying it. Just dont ever cook tomatoes in one.
Why not cook tomatoes in a cast iron skillet... because of the acid in them? Is here anything else I shouldn't cook in one? I've just gotten a new cast iron skillet for camping because they're great for use over the campfire and the open flame on my campstove.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Acidic food will pull a very noticable metallic taste out of the pan. You wont like it.
I made spaghetti sauce in mine a couple of times, years ago and finally figured out why it had "that taste"....which wasnt good. (Yeah....I'm slow on the pick up sometimes.....I did it twice...lol !)

It was the cast iron pan.

·
...is this real life?
594 Posts
Acidic food will pull a very noticable metallic taste out of the pan. You wont like it.
I made spaghetti sauce in mine a couple of times, years ago and finally figured out why it had "that taste"....which wasnt good. (Yeah....I'm slow on the pick up sometimes.....I did it twice...lol !)

It was the cast iron pan.
Thanks! :)

I wasn't sure if it was because tomatoes would destroy the cast iron or what... but I can see where the acid would pull an iron taste into the food. I'm still trying to figure out the nuances of cooking on cast iron... my scrambled eggs stuck and did not turn out so well. Maybe the pan was too hot or wasn't seasoned correctly?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Scout734 said:
Thanks! :) I wasn't sure if it was because tomatoes would destroy the cast iron or what... but I can see where the acid would pull an iron taste into the food. I'm still trying to figure out the nuances of cooking on cast iron... my scrambled eggs stuck and did not turn out so well. Maybe the pan was too hot or wasn't seasoned correctly?
Lol I did the same thing. My eggs turned out like crap. It takes a bit of time to season the pan. At least in my experience it did. Now my eggs don't stick at all. Just keep up on the proper maintenance.

·
Curses! Foiled again!!
16,290 Posts
Bacon grease is a cast iron pan's best friend. If you don't like or cook bacon, stay with stainless.

·
...is this real life?
594 Posts
Bacon grease is a cast iron pan's best friend. If you don't like or cook bacon, stay with stainless.
I love bacon :)

Next time you do eggs toss a little butter in the pan if you're not cooking bacon beforehand and they won't stick.
I did use butter... so I will try cooking bacon in it a few times to season the pan before cooking the eggs.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Also make sure the pan is good and hot, as well as, using the butter, oil or bacon grease, lard etc. .
----------------------------------------------------------------

Scout, here is a good tip when camping and handling raw meat, raw eggs, etc. where you would have to wash your hands afterwards.

Buy a box of 500 surgical type/Latex non powdered gloves and use them and they can be used if nature calls too .

I use them here at the house all the time, changing motor oil, baiting rat and mice traps and when chunking their bodies later .

I used them a bunch when my water froze and broke the pipes, in my house this winter and they saved me many a hand wash .

I use them in my kitchen all the time to save me the trouble and time to wash my hands well after handling raw stuff and when BBQ'ing outside too .

Here is a pretty good link for you Scout .

http://apronstringz.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/what-and-how-to-cook-in-cast-iron/

Scout, maybe then to start getting your pans seasoned right, then for a few mornings a week cook the bacon, leave all the grease in there and cook some fried eggs over easy or whatever at a pretty hot temp and that pan will be right in no time .

With the grease and the hot temp. the eggs should not stick in there, and as long as you have the bacon grease you may as well break some eggs right ?

·
...is this real life?
594 Posts
Also make sure the pan is good and hot, as well as, using the butter, oil or bacon grease, lard etc. .
----------------------------------------------------------------

Scout, here is a good tip when camping and handling raw meat, raw eggs, etc. where you would have to wash your hand afterwards.

Buy a box of 500 surgical type/Latex non powered gloves and use them and they can be used if nature calls too .

I use them here at the house all the time, changing motor oil, baiting rat and mice traps and when chunking their bodies later .

I used them a bunch when my water froze and broke the pipes, in my house this winter and they saved me many a hand wash .

I use them in my kitchen all the time to save me the trouble and time to wash my hands well after handling raw stuff and when BBQ'ing outside too .

Here is a pretty good link for you Scout .

http://apronstringz.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/what-and-how-to-cook-in-cast-iron/

Scout, maybe then to start getting your pans seasoned right the for a few mornings a week cook the bacon leave all the grease in there and cook some fried eggs overeasy or whatever at a pretty hot temp and that pan will be right in no time .

With the grease and the hot temp. the eggs should not stick in there, and as long as you have the bacon grease you may as well break some eggs right ?
Thanks Phit! I do have a box of those gloves and use them for lots of stuff including tossing out the mice after trapping them... In fact I just got another mouse last night :D

I'll definitely do the bacon grease thing because the cast iron skillet is perfect for camping and I need it seasoned correctly.

·
Curses! Foiled again!!
16,290 Posts
I love bacon :)

I did use butter... so I will try cooking bacon in it a few times to season the pan before cooking the eggs.
Bacon grease handles temps where butter would burn. Better to use bacon and get the pan good and hot.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Scout what size is your skillet and do you have a lid for it ?

If not then get one and it will add a whole new level to what you can cook with it .

I have a very old Wagner Drip-Drop #8 Aluminum skillet cover that I love and use a lot .

It has a special pattern under the lid that makes the moisture drip straight down on the food instead of just ending up just running over and just dripping down the sides of the lid .

One of these will work just the same, and if you click on one of the metal ones it will mention dimples or tits that make the moister drip down like mine does .

Buy one and you will not be sorry .

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/skillets-and-covers?Page=2&Items=12

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
440 F: Peanut Oil†
: Sunflower Oil†
450 F: Corn Oil, Refined
: High-Oleic Sunflower Oil,
Refined
: Peanut Oil, Refined
(Good Eats)
: Safflower Oil, Ref.
(Good Eats)
: Sesame Oil, Semi-Refined
: Soy Oil, Refined
: Sunflower Oil, Semi-Refined
460 F: Olive Pomace Oil**
468 F: Olive Oil, Extra Light*
485 F: Grapeseed Oil**
495 F: Soy Bean Oil?
500's
510 F: Safflower Oil†
520 F: Avocado Oil, Refined
Scout, Locutus posted this list earlier here in the thread and you don't have to use bacon grease if you want something healthier or different .

Any one of these would probably be just fine to break your pan in with .

Depending on what you are doing the higher temp ones are the best maybe ?

41 - 60 of 1403 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.