Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
One of my most prized possessions is my Griswold 14 it is a huge pan. My grandfather was a fishing guide and he bought the pan in the 30s to cook shore lunch with. I can't imagine how many trips up the White river it made or how much fish and tators it has cooked. Tonight my wife used it to fry a chicken, "in lard" the way chicken is supposed to be fried.

Attachments

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
That is a very nice pan you got there Hash .

I have read that lard and a CI pan is best for fried yardbird and that is part of the reason that I bought some .

How deep is the oil in that pan ? 1/4 inch ?
Yeah maybe I usually like it half way up the chicken but in that pan it takes a lot of lard.

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
The biscuit recipe you posted sounds about the same as what I have done when going that route. I have to confess, I do most of my biscuits with bisquick just out of convenience these days. Another thing I do sometimes is brush a little bacon grease over my biscuits before throwing in the oven. Just like granddad did
The gravy I do a number of ways and it depends on what I have cooked. Bacon or sausage grease usually from breakfast, and maybe something like the left over grease from a fried up pork-chop or fried chicken for supper. I have used lard as well.
We are discussing not the healthiest cooking in the world right now, but definitely some of the tastiest.
When I was young I had a hell of a hard time learning how to make good gravy because there is no definitive recipe. I usually put the grease on the biscuits as well but I do it right before they start to brown.

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
Note here guys, I want to learn more on how to Wok cook and am reading up on it and a carbon steel wok may be much better than a cast iron Wok and I just don't know enough about it for anyone here to think that I do .

Another thing that I noted was that the inside of that new Lodge Wok did not look very smooth looking to me .

Hash, if you should see this post and still have pictures of your Cowboy Wok/discada that you made please post them here .

Hash made something like this out of an old plow disc .

http://www.southwestdisk.com/
Phit, we use that pan all the time! I'll see what I can dig up.

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
Note here guys, I want to learn more on how to Wok cook and am reading up on it and a carbon steel wok may be much better than a cast iron Wok and I just don't know enough about it for anyone here to think that I do .

Another thing that I noted was that the inside of that new Lodge Wok did not look very smooth looking to me .

Hash, if you should see this post and still have pictures of your Cowboy Wok/discada that you made please post them here .

Hash made something like this out of an old plow disc .

http://www.southwestdisk.com/
Found a few phit

Attachments

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
Hash, I have been looking at how to's on making a cowboy Wok and more so where to buy the pre-drilled(holeless) large disc and saw the below idea and like it .

" While you're welding, consider welding 3, 3/4" nuts evenly spaced on the bottom, so you can put 3 pieces of threaded rod in if needed to use over a campfire, length determines height. If not used, they just are there. "
I built an adjustable stand for fire usage but I have never put it to the test. :thumbsup:

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
That looks so damn good and like a lot of fun too .

Hash, do you season a discada like a cast iron skillet .

If so does it end up like C I with a nice slick patena/coating on it ?
I think patina might be an understatement.....I haven't washed it since I made it. When I get done cooking on it I dump some grease on it while it's hot and wad up some aluminum foil and srub it clean then wipe it out with paper towels. You can cook anything in it and it won't stick as long as you don't overheat it when you're cooking. Which is really easy to do if you haven't cooked over wood much.

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
It looks like it was both healthy and good eats too.

Nice job Sir .

What meat or meats did you cook and did you use soy sauce or the like when cooking it ?

Beef stir fry, with just green peppers and onions, is one of my favorite things to cook in my CI .

Easy peasy .

I also find it very interesting, that you added noodles (kind of like Lo Mein) and may have to try that myself .

The rice there really puzzles me, just like the noodles do too ?

Were they cooked in the Discada too or on the side like I think ?
It was chicken, I bought 60lbs to get us down the road this winter. Jacob loves Lo Mein, so I cooked those and the rice and noodles first in a pot on the fire and set them aside. The peas are sugar snap grown at Peckerwood Farm we grow them in early spring and late fall.

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
Very nice Hash and it looks damn good and I really love your old skillet .

I know it was your Grand Pa's have you tried to date it as to it's age ?

Did you and Jacob see any deer this morning while you were hunting ?

I am now eating a grilled cheese sammie that I just cooked in my CI pan .
We saw deer all morning, I missed a nice buck on a hard trot chasing a doe I was leading him and shot a good sized sapling. The button Jacob shot was around all morning. That was a group effort I held the gun he took aim pulled the trigger and gut shot it. It was a freakin mess.....

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
So was that loin you cooked from a fresh kill ?

Did you tear the bottom off Jacobs shirt tail and smear his face with it's blood ?

Hash, the deer here seem to be in full rut now and you could smell the buck that was shot out back a week or so ago from a pretty fair distance .

Will Jacob's deer count as one of the two that you can kill in your county or can Jacob kill two and you can kill two too ?
It was fresh, I cut the loin out and fried it and it will count as mine. Every deer I saw today was chasing or being chased. I didn't do any rituals it was all I could do to clean it! We lost a full ham from I guess you would say contamination. It had intestines hanging through to the outside of the ham!

·
Blissfully Unaware
1,115 Posts
How do they even know how many deer you kill in your county ?

Do you have to report every one that you kill ?

Nobody knows or even cares much what is killed in my backyard .

We do have a lot of deer here though and that is probably why .
In Missouri we have to call in every kill that is made. They damn sure care what's killed in mine! Which for me means a warden will visit me tomorrow. I didn't do things as I should of in the past and it follows me today. Not blaming anyone but me, I put myself on the ''special attention" list!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.