Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this area is called BBQ & Grilling, I tend to think of this as BBQ, Grilling and Cooking .

There are times when I want to sear meat in cast iron on the stove and then put the meat on the smoker or just cook it on cast iron .

That said I have not used my 10 1/4 inch Lodge CI pan in a while and while it has no rust on the bottom of the pan there are a half a dozen small slightly rusty areas on the inside edges of the pan .

Should I just wire brush the small spots that it has with my drill bit with the brass brush and/or with some steel wool and then oil the areas and bake it in ?

I think so .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is very slight surface rust and I was thinking steel wool on the spots and reseasoning the whole pan then putting it in the oven for an hour or so at 350 to 450 degrees or so afterwards .

I have read that white vinegar works pretty good on the rust too .

I will try the salt and oil first so thank you very much Hash .

As I have said, I have done quite a few old cast iron pieces but never just small spots before .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question please if anyone knows .

What oil would be the best oil to use to season cast iron ?

I have read bacon grease, flaxseed oil, vegtable oil, canola oil, crisco, lard, peanut oil, EVOO, etc.

The best oil in my book would be the one with the highest smoking point for seasoning .

I am leaning towards bacon grease as that is what we have used down South for a very, very long time but I don't know .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Locutus, I spent about a hour doing the prep. this morning and went with what I had at hand grease wise .

After some research I decided to go with bacon grease and not EVOO .

I have had it in the oven at more than 350 and less than 400 the last hour or so .

I will recoat it and do it another two times before the day is over after letting it slowly cool each time .

The cooking surface looks a tad blotchy for now and I will report back later today after a few more coats and bakes .

The last time I did this pan I use 1 coat of vegtable oil and it came out like a champ .

I may go with my Pompeian Imported EVOO for the next coat or two depending on how the mood suits me .

Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks again for your imput .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your input Wilson and I will do the next two seasoning today with the bacon grease instead of he OO, because as I said, I will go with what I have got at hand .

Bacon grease is not a real stretch, as far as lard, so far as I can tell at this point ?

The main reason my frying pan has rusted may well be because I have not used it for several years .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ouch, note to myself, it is a very bad plan to try to shift the pan by the handle while curing it in the oven at 400 degrees .

My left index finger is not a very happy camper right now .

I just spanked my own a$$ again damn it .

Live and learn, sigh .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
11) Heat retention over other type pans, if you try to sear a steak or something you practically have to take the meat out and wait for it to get back hot again before you can sear the other side well with thin pans .

Penta, go to walmart .com and do a search on cast iron pans and you will see that you can get a big Lodge skillet, griddle etc. for cheap to get you started in the wonderful world of cast iron cooking .

You have a Jeep, if you go camping a cast iron pan and a Dutch Oven are a big must have and as stated all you do is clean them with salt .

Locutus thanks for your excellent write up here on the whys of C I cooking and you are right they are sexy and look so cool hanging on a kitchen wall .

Edit: 12) Unlike teflon it is perfectly fine to use metal utensils with cast iron and may be healthier to do so .

There is a big debate about the health dangers of teflon and none with cast iron .

Also, don't buy Chinese made Cast Iron for a couple of reasons .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mol, my pan came out great and looks new again and so will yours with just a little TLC .

I cooked some good ribeye pork loin in it the other night and will be using it again tonight for supper .

You can start on yours with a wire brush or steel wool and there are other ways to do it with little work or expense .

Many ways were discussed in this thread and some good links or just google clean Cast Iron and season Cast Iron .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That sounds like a very cool job and I hope you don't get to fat with all that good eating that you probably do .

No hurry on the measurement, just curious .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This link is a tad bit tree huggerish/greenie read, but it does make some very good points here and there .

Have you ever had your plastic spatula melt some while you were trying to cook something with Teflon ?

I have a quite a few times over the years and that can't be very healthy, neither is teflon if it gets to hot and maybe just plain period .

http://www.diynatural.com/cast-iron-cooking/

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have spent years both doing it and reading up on it on the puter .

And there are many ways to do it with good results .

I am from very, very old Southern families and they just made a very hot fire and put it in the coals until it practically glowed or did .

If there were defects in it, it cracked and if not you were good to go with a reseasoning or two .

I am not a newbie on this BTW and have very old high dollar stuff that I have restored to near new .

There is old school and there are new school ways and to each their own .

For example you can do this with a cheap battery charger or a car battery and this link is more way complicated than what it takes maybe but it is from Griswold .

http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros_1.php

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Mol, have you done anything with your old Griswold yet ?

When you go to oil it and bake it in, put the pan upside down so the oil doesn't pool and make uneven spots .

Also put a drip pan/tray/pizza pan or something under it to catch any drips during the process .

Did you ever measure it because I want to see if I can find it on the net .

I have been using mine a fair amount lately and used it tonight to fry hamburger meat for some Burritos .

They were pretty good eats BTW .

1 - 19 of 419 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.