Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Cmon guys, you don't need a mix to make chilli!

Get out there and learn about spices, you can make your own mix!!!!!

Even though I am a Mustang guy and loved Carroll Shelby, I can kick his chilli's *** and also know exactly what is in it. :D

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
That sounds good too .

Hard or soft shells .

I have put pulled pork in soft ones before but didn't think to add slaw so thanks for the idea .
I usually use soft shell, throw the pork in, add a few pickle chips or pickled Jalapeno slices, put in some BBQ sauce and then the slaw.

An outstanding sauce for these tacos, you can buy online is Salt Lick BBQ (original recipe) sauce from Austin Texas.

For some reason, I just feel this sauce goes good with the Taco idea.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Here is a nice little recipe, we made tonight. We don't use cast iron pans (although we will be when I find a good pan to buy) but when we made this I was struck how easy it would be to adapt this to a nice cast iron pan.

Pork chops, with potato cut into wedges, green beans, roasted red peppers, olive oil, smoked paprika, chopped fresh thyme, roasted lemons, garlic cloves, salt and pepper.

This was the first time we made this, I would make a few changes next time, but the flavor was outstanding.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
That looks very interesting/good Jeff and I would love to know how you cooked it ?

It looks like the oven and I would like to know your temp. and duration .
Yep in an edged sheet pan in the oven. 35ish minutes at 475 degrees F.

My girlfriend had a magazine with a recipe in it, as she was reading it, I saw the picture and thought it looked good.

The timing varies as a result of the thickness of your chops. That's where it gets a little dicey (depending on your chops and desired "doneness"), ours were thick chops and we had to go a little longer, we were ok with the vegetables getting kinda charred, but some people don't like that as much.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
looks good jeff. phit got me started looking for old cast iron cook ware at garage sales and fee markets. scored on my first outing with a wagner/sydney ci pan, i believe from the 50s. since then i have come up empty. wall mart has lodge ci for 20 bucks, just google ci seasoning.
Cool, I am going to look around for a vintage one, if I can't find one, I will go with a new Lodge.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Here is a pretty cool piece of cast iron that I just purchased. It got here today!

We like to grill oysters. Typically, I use a small flat tray pan with a rock salt base to balance the oysters. Doing it this way works, but you always seem to have a couple tip over and spill their juice.

So I recently stumbled on this purpose made oyster grilling pan. I will post some photos when I get some good oysters to give it a try!

If you haven't ever grilled oysters, you really should try them out!

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Oysters are as safe as any other meat if you follow safe handling, storage and prep guidelines. There is always a chance you might get a bad batch, but I haven't yet, thankfully.

I have been eating them raw since I was a kid, My grandfather liked to test my manhood when I was a toddler by having me eat a raw one every Christmas. I will admit the first few years I didn't taste them I swallowed so fast.

I now prefer to grill them and come up with different variations to try!

You gotta get some.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
I don't think it will either, not by itself anyway. I just don't like our society to turn a blind eye to the culmination of "life made easy". Teflon is not the devil I know, and I believe everyone should decide for themselves. And if you use carbon steel and cast iron then you're ahead of most.
How do you feel about enameled cast iron such as Le Creuset?

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Premium cookware! Especially when cooking with acids like tomatoes. I have a few pieces and would have more if I wouldn't have to sell a Jeep to get it. A local LC outlet actually gave me 3 pieces to do a demo at the store. I use it for catering. I put a large piece of granite up on bricks with lit sterno under it and place the food in the Le Creuset on the granite. Heat transfer is awesome.

View attachment 1919145
Yep I agree, great stuff. We have quite a few pieces.

That's a very cool set up.

1 - 19 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.