Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 4.2L I6 in my wrangler that I may need to rebuild soon. My wrangler is completely decomputerized (nutter bypass, ECU removal, weber carb, etc...). I know the advantages of fuel injection, I just do not want to do that on this particular project. If i bought a used 4.0 engine, and used the intake manifold, carb, crankshaft, and other necessary parts from my old 4.2, could I make a carbureted 4.6 stroker? My understanding is that without the fuel injection system, the 4.0 would run without the need for a computer. I'm assuming the same would be true for the 4.6 stroker. Anybody know what the horse power would be like on this setup? Would a carbed 4.6 be worth it compared to a carbed 4.2? Do the 4.0 block and 4.2 block mount in the same place?

I'm not interested in a V8 swap for this particular project. I'm not interested in FI for this project. Please do not suggest these. Any other input or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

1989 Jeep wrangler sahara 4.2L w/ AX-15 transmission

· Premium Member
25,643 Posts
The person that could give you the answer would be Justsawduste. PM him and see. There are not many performance guys here but on Pirate4x4 they will have the answer. Just be ready for a little rough ride. They can be...difficult, yeah, that's the work, difficult. They do know their stuff though.

· Registered
2,545 Posts
I'm pretty sure the intake manifold will bolt to a 4.0 head so you could use a carb on it. But unless you really know how to tune a carb I wouldn't. I would stick with the 4.0 fuel system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.