14,021 Posts
Everyday doesn't have to be perfect. Just most
days. :D I've been maintaining 160 lbs. for about
5 years now using the program. At one point I
was pushing 200. 2 hot dogs on regular buns,
with ketchup, mustard, and onions is about 494
calories. Not too bad, but it's the sodium that
gets you. So not an everyday thing! ;) If I was
camping, it would just be the dogs and buns.
(480 calories, and less sodium)
fish my friend, nothing better than fish wrapped in tin foil with some seasoning and lemon cooked in the fire.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
fish my friend, nothing better than fish wrapped in tin foil with some seasoning and lemon cooked in the fire.
You got that right. I was camping with some guys who could fish. I can't catch anything so I gave up. But whole fish, walleye in this case, gutted and wrapped in foil with wild green onions, direct on the dying coals, is the bomb.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
just wanted to add, the only place i have ever enjoyed hot dogs is at yankee stadium.
Occasionally, we cook them (Nathan's) over an open fire.
The kid's really like it, and think they're the best dogs in
the world because they made them. Our 4 year old still
needs help, but our 12 year old cooks everything from
chili, to breakfast. Sometimes when I'm cooking dinner,
I'll ask him to whip us up a salad. I bought him his own
chef's knife, and his knife skills aren't too bad. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
One of my favorite out camping meals is turkey in a hole. Dig a hole in the ground a few feet deep throw in a bunch or coals wrap a turkey in foil twice and toss it in the hole throw in a bunch more coals and cover it up with dirt. After about 8 hours you will dig up a cooked turkey. Of course wet ground wont work.

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
One of my favorite out camping meals is turkey in a hole. Dig a hole in the ground a few feet deep throw in a bunch or coals wrap a turkey in foil twice and toss it in the hole throw in a bunch more coals and cover it up with dirt. After about 8 hours you will dig up a cooked turkey. Of course wet ground wont work.
sounds like a clam bake!

·
Registered
568 Posts
We gave that a try when I was in Scouts. We actually went the whole weekend without any pots or pans, and had a blast. You can cook an egg in a bell pepper next to the fire, all kinds of tin foil packet combos for the coals. I don't think our fire started off hot enough for the turkey - that was a late diner...

I really like salmon on those cedar planks, and that's pretty easy on the fire. Citric acid of your choice with fresh rosemary or your favorite herb. Soak the planks for as long as you can beforehand. Asparagus with garlic in tinfoil for a side.

If you can keep ice, homemade ice cream is always a crowd pleaser, and could occupy the young ones for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
We gave that a try when I was in Scouts. We actually went the whole weekend without any pots or pans, and had a blast. You can cook an egg in a bell pepper next to the fire, all kinds of tin foil packet combos for the coals. I don't think our fire started off hot enough for the turkey - that was a late diner...

I really like salmon on those cedar planks, and that's pretty easy on the fire. Citric acid of your choice with fresh rosemary or your favorite herb. Soak the planks for as long as you can beforehand. Asparagus with garlic in tinfoil for a side.

If you can keep ice, homemade ice cream is always a crowd pleaser, and could occupy the young ones for a while.
Salmon on cedar planks, I do it all the time on the grill, on the fire, wherever there is a flame. Great idea. I have soaked planks overnight and for an hour, can never see a difference, just soak it an hour!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Salmon on cedar planks, I do it all the time on the grill, on the fire, wherever there is a flame. Great idea. I have soaked planks overnight and for an hour, can never see a difference, just soak it an hour!
Haha!

We have the opposite approach. Salmon filet skin side down on tin foil. No Pam. No planks. When the salmon is plated the skin stays on the tin foil. Asparagus dipped in butter and rolled around in the flames on the grill, then steeped in its own juice and left over butter (squirt of lemon) in a dish while the salmon is finishing.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Haha!

We have the opposite approach. Salmon filet skin side down on tin foil. No Pam. No planks. When the salmon is plated the skin stays on the tin foil. Asparagus dipped in butter and rolled around in the flames on the grill, then steeped in its own juice and left over butter (squirt of lemon) in a dish while the salmon is finishing.
I've done in your way too! IMO salmon is rarely bad, done in any way.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Maybe not best for such a big group, unless you have more than one fire, but here's something I like to take camping. I've overcooked this stuff to the point you're picking burnt stuff off the tinfoil, and I've done it perfect, but both were delicious. This has the benefit of being able to prepare it at home a day or two ahead, then pack as many as you choose into a cooler, and you end up with individual meals in each foil pack so you can cook as many as you choose, when you want. They will take about 45 minutes to cook on a medium low grill, or placed between hot coals and hot rocks. On a fire, I ring the fire with rocks or wood to trap the heat, and put these in a ring around the hot coals. I turn the cold side out as often as I feel like, but never turn them upside down or all the juice will drain out and it will be dry.

Take sheets of heavy duty tinfoil (or quadruple layer regular stuff), and lay out rectangles about 18" by 24". Make one first and figure out the size you're after. I like to lay them out all over the kitchen and do as many as possible at one time. Choose a meat to put in each tinfoil. I use raw, but you could slightly cook them ahead to make it easier. Put one serving of meat in the center of each (1 chicken breast, 1 or 2 beer brats, a slice of pork loin, steak, etc.) I've used hot dogs before, and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

Then slice onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, or anything else you think goes with your meat. I like to have about 1/2 the size of potato I would eat next to a steak. Grind some salt and pepper onto it, to taste. Sprinkle just a little water on the assembly, then carefully fold the tinfoil to try to make it as air tight as possible. Fold, don't roll, because you'll need to open it more than once to check progress. I flat fold several times along the long edge, then fold the ends up to complete the seal. If you're making different types of fillings, you can write on the tinfoil, but remember what you put where on the fire, because the writing will be gone by the time it's done. Sometimes I have kid packs on one side (no onions or jalapeno, and very little pepper) and adult packs on the other.

I've never tried freezing them ahead of cooking, but I imagine it would just add cook time, and would have the benefit of being clean and cold in the cooler.

These things always come out delicious, and usually the meat is very soft. Around the fire, they have the added benefit of smelling really good for about 30 minutes before they're done, so everybody is salivating by the time they get one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Going camping in a few weeks for the first time in years. want to make a few meals over the campfire including one big dinner to feed a group of 12 or so.

anyone got any good tips or trips for some open fire cooking? i consider myself a well seasoned cook one the Grill both charcoal and propane but been a while since i have done the open fire thing.

I know the basics, i already plan on the typical corn on the Cob, some baked potatoes. gonna do Hobo meals one night but not sure what to make for the group main dish. Would love to do some good BBQ, something like ribs or pork roast but not sure how feasible that really is. Chicken is out, as someone else is making it one night to feed the group.
So what did you end up cooking?

·
Bouncin' on a Budget
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So what did you end up cooking?
Going this weekend actually.

Doing Chicken, Baked potatoes, corn on the cob, and grilled watermelon for dessert.

Still 100% plan on doing it all over the open campfire, despite the negativity in this thread. I'll either win spectacularly, or fail miserably. we will at least have corn and potatoes to eat, as those are simple to do on the fire.

·
Bouncin' on a Budget
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
well, i think i need to cook over the fire a bit more. Ended up actually cooking two meals over the open fire.

Whole chicken breast, potatoes and corn. Turned out perfect.

2nd night was bone in pork chops. tender enough to cut with a plastic knife and juicy.

No fall back needed, Open fire cooking was a big win in the books.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.