Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally got Jeep running <50 miles Sketching sound motor goes dead with wife in it headed for breakfast
Take a cab home get Dodge and tow bar and go retrieve the CJ
Rotor turn but way out of time. Just put in NEW Time chain, Dizzy gears, fixed pick up, have 65lbs at speed 25 at idle so what the hell.
Surely not another find from the PO who should not even own a screw driver.
Yep he got me
Took off front cover and there it is. Brand dist drive on cam chewed up. Not a drop of oil to be found in there
something doesn't look right with that cam bearing.
Tear motor down completely. Punch out bearing and low and behold the dickhead installed it wrong. No it didn't spin either no gauling at all on either side of bearing or the cam. Cam is still goog to go
Well that ends all his f(&%^&%)*&% ups. Motor getting rebuild by me now it will be my fault
Pics of the front of block is how we found it. Was not wiped down ZIP for oil
Anyone have a pic of cam bearings installed. Curious as the remaining ones the hole is at the bottom is this correct. I'm having the block machined, tanked and them install the cam bearings
Just need to make sure this crap don't happen again.
I Love shade trees. I hate shade tree mechanics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
HI, did you replace the distributor drive gear? maybe it was the wrong one? it doesn't look like there was any oil any were even the valve spring looks dry?? too bad you didn't get any pictures before you pulled the distributor or the barring. could the oil pump been frozen up? the distributor is what turn the oil pump.. Do you know what the oil pressure was?

good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
The oil gallery is at the top of the bearings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI, did you replace the distributor drive gear? maybe it was the wrong one? it doesn't look like there was any oil any were even the valve spring looks dry?? too bad you didn't get any pictures before you pulled the distributor or the barring. could the oil pump been frozen up? the distributor is what turn the oil pump.. Do you know what the oil pressure was?

good luck take care be safe
tim
Yes all new gears a complete set. New time chain set, Top is oiled great. Nope pump is fine 80 at start 65 running 25 idle so it's not frozen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The oil gallery is at the top of the bearings.
Meaning what
As it sets all the bearing holes are on the bottom
Heads facing up looking down lifter holes they are installed on the bottom of the cam.
1st AMC for me so learning

Attachments

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Sounds wrong, if you have the engine upright and look at it from the radiator end, the oil gallery holes are at about 2 o'clock. You should be able to see them behind the hole in the front bearing. You may want to check each one with a piece of wire to see if you can go behind and into the oil gallery.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Spun/mis installed cam bearings won't do this....
Rotor turn but way out of time. Just put in NEW Time chain, Dizzy gears, fixed pick up, have 65lbs at speed 25 at idle so what the hell.
Nope pump is fine 80 at start
The only way the rotor can go out of time is an issue with the distributor drive or the timing chain.
These steps should have been done as the timing chain was removed.
Verify the dampener hasn't shifted by rolling up to TDC and inspecting the timing marks.
Verify the ignition timing is off.
Pull the distributor and verify the drive gear pin hasn't sheared by removing the pin and gear.
Verify the timing chain hasn't jumped.

My first suspect is the distributor drive gear roll pin. This is usually an issue due to excessive oil pressure or something jamming in the oil pump.

Not saying there isn't a cam bearing issue as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spun/mis installed cam bearings won't do this....

The only way the rotor can go out of time is an issue with the distributor drive or the timing chain.
These steps should have been done as the timing chain was removed.
Verify the dampener hasn't shifted by rolling up to TDC and inspecting the timing marks.
Verify the ignition timing is off.
Pull the distributor and verify the drive gear pin hasn't sheared by removing the pin and gear.
Verify the timing chain hasn't jumped.

My first suspect is the distributor drive gear roll pin. This is usually an issue due to excessive oil pressure or something jamming in the oil pump.

Not saying there isn't a cam bearing issue as well.
It was done with the head off TDC was verified. Cam correct position
It chewed up the dist drive gear on the cam like butter. Thats why it stopped.
Missed a step in tear down should of TDC the motor and see where cam was my bad
It will be correct next go around NO dam mistakes from PO I caught them all now
When I say no oil I MEAN not a drop was under that front cover. I guess that a little is good a lot is better on assembly lube is only way it ran that long

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds wrong, if you have the engine upright and look at it from the radiator end, the oil gallery holes are at about 2 o'clock. You should be able to see them behind the hole in the front bearing. You may want to check each one with a piece of wire to see if you can go behind and into the oil gallery.
Thanks new ones going in not taking a chance on what the idiot has done before me.
Know where I can find a diagram or something showing where the holes are located

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I remember a while ago a good conversation about the issues with aftermarket parts aliging the oil holes etc.
Check it out.
UTN

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well it's confirmed Block dropped of at Machine Shop AND PO or who ever installed all the bearings wrong Yippy
Some ******* doesn't know the difference from a AMC or GMC
They were lined up pretty

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
UGH!!

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Diagrams hard to find but the holes from the oil gallery are plain to see. They are round and about 1/4"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks
I've drop it all off at the machine shop so it will be done correctly this time
Doing a complete rebuild at this point. No use tearing it down later and go thru it all again
So when done I'll have a new motor just installed a new SM 465 and NP205 new drivelines new suspension. All new brakes and Master and Brake boost. Only things left alternator and PS pump. LOL even a new battery
Pretty much a new CJ now. Have Dana 44 Detroit in rear and Dana30 ARB up front.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts