Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, technically I'm busting bolts but "nuts" made for a catchier title.

I have a 2000 WJ with a 3" IRO lift. I recently replaced the stock control arms front and back and rear A arm with IRO adjustable arms (thanks Kolak).
The instructions say to torque all front lower control arm nuts to 135 foot lbs. My torque wrench was initially set to 100 foot lbs. As I am torquing the nut it feels like the bolt is not getting any tighter (I do have a wrench on the bolt head so it does not turn as well). This was the original 10.9 15mm bolt. It took it off and see the threads are now stripped.
I went to the hardware store and got 2 more 10.9 bolts of the same size and a little bit longer. Same problem, never got to 100 foot lbs. and I snapped that new bolt. Tried a third galvanized 10.9 I had on hand and snapped that too. What gives?

Original bolt on top, new hardware bolt in middle, galvanized on bottom. All 10.9 grade.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad, I misread the instructions and I said lower when I should have said upper. The bolt in question is for the upper control arm, lower end that bolts to the axle. Only calls for 60 foot lbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts