Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burned Up Warn M8000 Motor

Well I needed to rebuild my Warn M8000 winch. This past weekend I pushed it to the limit and pretty much burned up the motor. After it cooled it still worked but I have no idea how it will react under load. All I know is it's sticky and it smells horrible.

My question is, should I just trash this motor or try and clean it up and stick it back in? I've already ordered the gaskets, bushings, decals and aluminum tie rods so the rest of it will be fine. I was thinking about getting some brake cleaner and doing what I can with the electric motor. If it doesn't work out then I'll just replace the motor.

Pics:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
don't use brake cleaner on the motor. If you are going to try and clean it up use a cleaner designed for electronics. Your local parts place should have something formulated for cleaning alternators

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to try and find something today. One guy recommended the battery terminal contact cleaner but I don't think that's what I need. I'll try to find actual electronic cleaner if I can.

Unfortunately the more I look at it and think about it the more I'm leaning towards getting a new motor. I think this one is shot and if it does work it most likely won't be as strong as it use to be.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wow! Hey, That's a bummer. Anyway, If it got all hot and stickey I would think that the insulation around the windings got to the melting point which is now thinner and likely to short out against the adjoining windings due to the thinness of the insulation. Might last or might not with a rebuild.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Wow! Hey, That's a bummer. Anyway, If it got all hot and stickey I would think that the insulation around the windings got to the melting point which is now thinner and likely to short out against the adjoining windings due to the thinness of the insulation. Might last or might not with a rebuild.
I agree. I'd go with another motor. Check Ebay I got an OEM motor for a great price.

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure the varnish was toasted good. I saw some coming out onto the drum.

I agree. I'd go with another motor. Check Ebay I got an OEM motor for a great price.
I'll check them out but if I can't find a Warn OEM motor then I'll just go back to them. As of now the new part number for the motor is 77893 and it's $204.78.

I'm still going to clean everything up, paint it, replace the thrust washer, drum bushings, tie rods and clean up all the gears and put fresh grease in. I'll still try to clean the motor up and bolt it back in. If it fails on the trail well that's why I don't ride alone. If it doesn't good for me.

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lou, check out this link on Ebay. I asked the vendo if it was a replacement motor for your M8000 part number 77893 and he responded with this motor for $85.00 with $16.00 shipping. Hope this helps.
Flajeeper,

Sweet. Do you have the link? I didn't see it in your post above.

Thanks again:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
506 Posts
How long and how extensively has you used your winch?

I'm getting a JKU Rubicon - adding front and rear off-road bumpers (so it'll be a little heavier than stock).

I was thinking about cutting costs and getting the warn M8000 (like you have), but the dealer recommended the 9500.

Here are my options:
• Warn M 8000 (82202191ac) = $825
• Warn XD9000i (82202612ac) = $1135
• Warn 9.5ti (82209325ac) = $1375

Any thoughts on which I should go with. I'll do some off roading, not entirely sure how many situations I'll be in that will require a winch, but I want one just in case... I guess having one makes you prone to needing it :)

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I'm getting a JKU Rubicon - adding front and rear off-road bumpers (so it'll be a little heavier than stock).

I was thinking about cutting costs and getting the warn M8000 (like you have), but the dealer recommended the 9500.

Here are my options:

Any thoughts on which I should go with. I'll do some off roading, not entirely sure how many situations I'll be in that will require a winch, but I want one just in case... I guess having one makes you prone to needing it :)

Thanks for the advice.
I bought my winch used for $300 and that was about a year ago. It has already paid for itself in my opinion. It was a little rough looking when I got it but it worked so I bolted it on and wired it up. I'm kicking myself for not tearing into it when I first got it and cleaning it up.

As for which winch you should go with, that's up to you. The Warn M8000 has an external control box while the others have their solenoids internally stored plus the added pulling capacity. If you don't do any major rock crawling and don't get into sticky situations then get the Warn M8000. I burned up my winch motor by pulling my buddies massive CJ-7 100' up a 50 degree slope. Mine overheated and started melting the varnish on the windings.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,680 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts

Here are my options:

Thanks for the advice.
the general rule of thumb with winches is to get one that is rated for at least 2x the weight of your vehicle. my YJ for instance weighs in right around 3,500 lbs. so an M8000 (which I have) is perfect. Not sure what the JKs weigh in at but I'm sure you can find that easily enough. And bigger is better so if your right on the bubble (say the JK weighs in at 4k lbs) i'd go up one size just to be on the safe side with the 9k winch

·
That's Right I Support
481 Posts
I remember the M8000 was 450 when I bought several years ago. It's funny how the price jumped back to regular price after the VR series came out.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.