Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good links to some info on how to properly build a fuel cell? I mean where to place baffles in and things like that?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I looked around a bit but I don't see anything I would recommend. Mostly just generic advice like "add some baffles". I'm guessing this is one of those jobs that's hard to screw up so no one has bothered to write it down. The stock tank is just a big ol' box so anything would be an improvement. Are you trying to replace the OEM tank with a custom cell? Probably easier to buy a prefab fuel cell and make it fit.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
agree it is way more simple to buy that. You would need to be a rather good welder since they tend to be thin metal and no leaks. I did make one once. was a 44g tank. i added two walls in the inside, scalped bottom. then dived that section in two the other direction. This was for 2nd gen Camaro as well.. Out side under the vehicle it looked near stock, but it took up most of the trunk, just enough to toss a spare in there that was skinny stock. Filling that thing up people even looked under the car to see how in the heck that car was taking over 40 gallons to fill it. Had a longer range then anyone would ever expect as well. Though it was way heavy. Having a all iron BB chev in front made up for that as it was like 6BT in front. I would never do it again was a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I am in the middle of 4 linking it in the rear and i dont like how close the rear tires are to the body so I pushed the rear axle approx 8 inches back from stock location. Doing so makes it where i need to do something with the tank. its a 30gallon according to the VIN# and I would like to keep approx 25 gallon at least so i was thinking I would cut the rear cargo area and build one approx 3inches by what ever the dimensions are and have it go down to the area where the stock tank goes. the 3 inches up top would make up for what i lost by moving axle back and it wouldnt take up much of the cargo area either.figured i would weld a lip around and bolt it to the cargo area. hope that makes sense. i can try to sketch it out and post it if it doesnt make sense. my one problem i think is i live in California and might not be able to smog it after. not sure though

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Couple thoughts just from what I've seen around.

If you cut up into the cargo area you might end up needing to fabricate a steel cover for the tank. Not sure how California is but some places don't like it if you remove the firewall between the tank and the folks inside the vehicle.

If you raise the tank into the cargo area you will need to address the fuel filler issue. The stock fuel filler hoses will probably air lock and all that extra space up top will be useless. You might have to end up deciding if opening the cargo area every time you fill up is worth it. You might be able to make it work but it'll be a fair bit more fabrication.

If you decide to make the tank, it might be worth taking a critical eye to your plan to attach it with a flange. I've seen people in the business specifically warn about doing this. It can be done but it's tricky, especially with an aluminum tank. If you get it wrong, one big bump (or enough time and vibration) and the tank can tear at the flange and pop the tank. That's a couple hundred pounds riding on your weld. A better option is to use tank straps. Easy, simple, safe.

Got a bucket of money lying around? Maybe this: Jaz 286-432-NF Jaz Products JEEPSpeed Fuel Cells | Summit Racing It's for the XJ but looks sorta close-ish.

A cheaper maybe option: RCI Racing 1302YD RCI Wedge Circle Track Fuel Cells | Summit Racing Honestly, I'd pay $400 to avoid having to fabricate a tank.

I wonder if a better plan would be to fabricate a new tank to fit where the stock one lives but expand it out and around to the maximum size that will fit. I'd bet you could get the extra volume you want without having to make a bunch of extra work or compromises.

OTOH If you are looking to check off a box for doing a job that is a lot of work but good experience, go for it. I've been there.

If you want to see some good tank fab.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thats a good point on the firewall thing .. california sucks so they prob have something like that. might end up having to register it green sticker type of thing and trailer it.
im not worried about welds ripping or it falling out it would be a lip all the way around the tank and be secured in with a lot of bolts. if it were to fall out then i would have done something bad like drive it off of a cliff by mistake or something.
i will look into the links you posted now . thanks for your help

both those tanks in the links you posted are close to what i had in mind for mounting it.
the video you posted those guys did great work. and gave me alot to think about...a whole lot to think about.. lol thanks again

·
Hears the voices
16,609 Posts
California doesn't care about your safety, tank in cabin is fine.

They care about the tank having the original fuel pump and the evap system working though.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
California doesn't care about your safety, tank in cabin is fine.

They care about the tank having the original fuel pump and the evap system working though.
cool that is good info thank you

I know a guy on 40s who used an XJ tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what do you mean? the tank goes where the stock tank goes how much smaller is it if you know? i know nothing on an xj .

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
what do you mean? the tank goes where the stock tank goes how much smaller is it if you know? i know nothing on an xj .
Slightly different shape, and just a little bit smaller. IIRC XJ tank is 18 or 19 gallons, ZJ is 22 gallons. I'm using an XJ fuel tank skid in my ZJ, with the mounting brackets modified. When I had it in the XJ there was maybe an inch of clearance between tank and skid plate, ZJ fuel tank is touching the skid plate.

IMO, XJ tank is not worth it if you're looking for better clearance behind the rear axle. I'd probably just cut the rear cargo floor off, weld 1/8" plate to bottom of rear frame rails, weld two C-channels to 1/8" plate so the stock tank rests on those, ratchet- strap the tank in there and do the mods to fuel filler hose. It's easy to fab a cover for the tank from sheetmetal if you don't want to look at it inside the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slightly different shape, and just a little bit smaller. IIRC XJ tank is 18 or 19 gallons, ZJ is 22 gallons. I'm using an XJ fuel tank skid in my ZJ, with the mounting brackets modified. When I had it in the XJ there was maybe an inch of clearance between tank and skid plate, ZJ fuel tank is touching the skid plate.

IMO, XJ tank is not worth it if you're looking for better clearance behind the rear axle. I'd probably just cut the rear cargo floor off, weld 1/8" plate to bottom of rear frame rails, weld two C-channels to 1/8" plate so the stock tank rests on those, ratchet- strap the tank in there and do the mods to fuel filler hose. It's easy to fab a cover for the tank from sheetmetal if you don't want to look at it inside the Jeep.
Would you happen to have some pics of what you are talking about with the 1/8 sheetmetal and c channel? 1 or 2 inches from an xj tank will make enough room. Also I'm gonna have to cut into the rear wheel wells to mount coilovers I just want to keep as much interior as possible for camping gear and tools etc.

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
Would you happen to have some pics of what you are talking about with the 1/8 sheetmetal and c channel? 1 or 2 inches from an xj tank will make enough room. Also I'm gonna have to cut into the rear wheel wells to mount coilovers I just want to keep as much interior as possible for camping gear and tools etc.
Something like this; it's an XJ but ZJ is pretty much the same thing. You can go lower if you like, depending on how much room you need/ want in the cargo area.

Team Taboo XJ 09-12, 19-

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something like this; it's an XJ but ZJ is pretty much the same thing. You can go lower if you like, depending on how much room you need/ want in the cargo area.

Team Taboo XJ 09-12, 19-

What I was originally thinking was to cut the cargo floor out and build something like that but make it the actual tank. If that makes sense. Lol not sure I described that properly.

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
What I was originally thinking was to cut the cargo floor out and build something like that but make it the actual tank. If that makes sense. Lol not sure I described that properly.
I would not build the tank as a rigid part of the uniframe, there's a reason why gas tanks are held on with straps or other methods that allows for somewhat independent movement in just about every vehicle.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would not build the tank as a rigid part of the uniframe, there's a reason why gas tanks are held on with straps or other methods that allows for somewhat independent movement in just about every vehicle.
Yeah I see what you mean . I cant explain it properly i guess. Basically like those fuel cells from summit but it would drop in through the cargo area and take up what space I have left behind the axle. I'm pretty sure it will work if I can figure out how to mount the pump in it. Was thinking of using the stock pump but I cant mount it in a steel tank with the factory lock ring. Then the fill vent is plastic also. Idk I have alot to figure out. Thanks for all your replies. Helped me realize alot of things I wasnt thinking about initially.. thanks

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
Aah.. gotcha! 👍

But yeah, you just described just about every reason why I'd probably just use a relocated stock tank.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aah.. gotcha! 👍

But yeah, you just described just about every reason why I'd probably just use a relocated stock tank.
if the stock tank was better shaped maybe. plus the top is nowhere near being flat. i just wouldnt be happy with in in the cargo area. i need something flatter.

·
Hears the voices
16,609 Posts
I'd raise the floor and run the stock tank. /shrug

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd raise the floor and run the stock tank. /shrug
I would love to keep it smog legal so i dont have to trailer it everywhere so the stock tank is prob my best bet. I just dont want to lose all my cargo area. :-(
I want my cake and be able to eat it too...lol

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok i tried getting a tank out of a wrangler it still is to big and will hit the diff. so im going to raise the tank up. ive looked and looked to find ways to do it and only found one that didnt look to hot. so anyone have any pics of a good tank raisingin a zj? I know Timo posted some but that would put the whole tank inside .. i really dont want that cuz it would be terrible for the cargo area storage. Im gonna have to tub the rear wheel wells for my coil overs so that needs to be factored into all of this too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts