Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen several threads on how to do this, but I thought some people might like to see one more from a poor college student with no workshop,

ITEMS USED:

Early 90's Buick Airbox
3" to 2" rubber pipe converter
12 1/4" long piece of steel
Hacksaw
box knife
Drill
Various wrenches
Various Nuts & bolts

I am going to be installing a York compressor for On Board Air and I needed more room. So while I was at the junkyard picking up the York I picked up an air box from an early 90's Buick.

The first step was to remove the existing airbox, to do that I removed the top and undid the three bolts on the bottom.

I then removed the stock air tube and cut it 1" behind the flexible portion, then I attached the rubber converter by enlarging the end with the box knife.

Next you have to prepare the Buick airbox to hookup to the rubber converter. Cut off the flange and two ribs with the hacksaw. I then had to cut away some of the rubber on the converter just like the other side.

Here it is mounted, now the bracket needs built.

Thunder wanting to help

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
For the bracket I took a piece of steel and cut it to 12 1/4" then made a vice out of a C-clamp and a few pieces of metal. I then bent it at about a 20 degree angle.

I then drilled a hole and mounted it to the motor mount.

Once I marked where the upper hole needed to go, I drilled it and mounted the whole set-up.

I then took the air inlet off the stock air box, put one layer of ductape around it to make a tight fit, and put it in the Buick air box.

Finished product

It opens up a lot of room and works great. I am pleased with the outcome.

And the dog was out too, but she was no help.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Nice fab work there.

And dogs are usually no help when it comes to wrenching on the Jeep. My yellow lab kept bringing me the tennis ball to throw when I was installing my lift. They just want to ride in the Jeep, not help work on it. heh

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice write-up... and pets! I particularly enjoyed the irony of a college student spelling "collage" wrong! :cheers2:
Ya, i have never been able to spell. Its a very good thing spell check was invented or else every thing would be misspelled. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Nice job, but curious as to why you did it? I don't see any mention of tube fenders or removing the inner fender liners. So why go to all that trouble?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice job, but curious as to why you did it? I don't see any mention of tube fenders or removing the inner fender liners. So why go to all that trouble?
OBA, if you look right under the list of items used, I mentioned I am going to be putting in a York compressor.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, it was the first Buick I came across, I doubt you would have any trouble finding one in a Junkyard.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The cat is cool.
Other than having fun fabricating stuff, what did you gain with this? Looks like the snorkle is about the same height as stock. And I think the air in the back of the engine compartment would be much hotter than up front.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
you could pop the inlet through the firewall so it takes the air in from there. it will be cooler than the air where you currently have it located.
just out of curiosity, what made you do this mod?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The cat is cool.
Other than having fun fabricating stuff, what did you gain with this? Looks like the snorkle is about the same height as stock. And I think the air in the back of the engine compartment would be much hotter than up front.
just out of curiosity, what made you do this mod?
Read post 10,

And I was thinking about taking the air from the cowl, Just havent gotten to that yet.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Does anyone know what vehicles have that airbox? I have been looking for a while and can't find specific vehicles and years for the airbox. The closest junkyard is 45 minutes from me so I would like to know in advance, and it would also help out with searching online for the box.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is the basic write up that I followed, he used a 1992 Buick Century with a 3.3 liter motor. I think mine came from a 1991 Buick Lesabre.

http://http://www.jeepfreedom.com/html/airbox_replacement.html

My junkyar was 1 1/2 hous away and I found it in the first Buick I saw. If you really feel uncomfortable about driving that far without knowing, just call them up and tell them what you are looking for, I am sure they will be able to help you find it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great thread, Gives me yet another idea to try next, Thanks!:thumbsup:
I also have a '97 TJ

Waiting on the York install...:popCorn:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.