Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't imagine I'm the only one who's had this problem, but I searched for it and didn't find anything related.

The outer skin of my 2013's hard top has developed a couple of bubbles. One popped and exposed the white material underneath which is how I saw it. Close look showed a few others.

Anyone else experience this and, if so, how'd you fix it?

TIA.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Mine has them and it is getting worse. When it started I researched it. The short version of my findings is when gets bad enough that I can’t stand it, get a quote from a paint and body shop.
Patch / touch up repair in the meantime are possible but will not match the the texture or general appearance. I kind of think that it would look worse than leaving the white popped bubbles alone. A lot of people think it is bird ****.

Bedliner texture is different and looks weird. Smooth shiny painted tops also look weird.

I think quadratec and most popular aftermarket Jeep online stores sell touch up aa well as normal sized top finishes (I don’t really want to call it paint) but I have not tried them. I am afraid to end up with something worse than what I started with.

YJ’s and TJ’s did not have this problem. My 2007 JKU did not have this problem. My 2014 JKU sure does though. Both the 2007 I had and 2014 I now have have textured OEM black hard tops. I don’t know what changed with regard to the finishes between the two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Prot. We're in the same place here.

Thinking about black epoxy but what if the entire roof bubbles? My yj and lj didn't do this.

·
Premium Member
10,511 Posts
Not sure if they still do, buy I know at one time Jeep offered a repair kit for the HT, we had the dealer do a repair to our then new top because of some slight damage to the lower edge. It included the repair material and texture/paint. Might be worth asking.

How big of bubbles are we talking about here?

Hoss

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if they still do, buy I know at one time Jeep offered a repair kit for the HT, we had the dealer do a repair to our then new top because of some slight damage to the lower edge. It included the repair material and texture/paint. Might be worth asking.

Hoss
Thanks for the response. Dime sized to this point.

·
Premium Member
10,511 Posts
Are they malleable? Could you fill them with an injection, or squish them back to the right surface height with some adhesive behind them?

Hoss

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hoss
dime sized. Not catastrophic. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Are they malleable? Could you fill them with an injection, or squish them back to the right surface height with some adhesive behind them?

Hoss
Mine are about the size of a thumb print. It is like the top is covered with some type of coating that reminds of vinyl but more durable. When the bubble pops and inevitably peaks what is behind is smooth and white, hence looking like bird poop. My 2007 JKU didn’t do this so I am kind of puzzled that my 2014 does.When I go to the grocery store or some place I see a lot of second generation JK’s that have it.

I am at 108,000 miles and with all the craziness going on, I am keeping my current Jeep for at least a few more years, although my engine is a bit of a tick to it, but it is mostly when it is low on oil. I go through one quart of oil every 2,500 miles so it really isn’t bad. I can sometimes smell it slightly though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts