Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I replaced the blend door lever on my TJ last fall and I just noticed (as it's gotten a little colder here in the mornings) that it's back to not working. I looked up in the dash and it's broke again at the same spot. Anyone have this issue? I ordered another and this time before installing I was thinking about dripping a little super glue into the cavity in the part then pressing a Ø3mm x 40mm dowel pin into it then filling the rest of the body with epoxy. See sketch. The cavity is about Ø.115" at the bottom so a Ø.118 dowl might fit tight. I might grind a little off the end so I don't stress the plastic.

Anyone else had these problems? Any advice?

Thanks,
Brad

Water Slope Rectangle Parallel Font

·
Supporting Member
644 Posts
Not the blend door- but the door that moves from vent to A/C , defrost , floor i had issues with

Thats a excellent drawing- real professional like-- you could make a living @ that possibly.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
That drawing looks like one of the mode selector door arms that move to direct airflow to the various vent outlets (panel, floor, defrost) not the blend door which moves to adjust the temperature.

Either way, breaking where you show it (nicer drawing by the way) indicates that door may be dragging or binding & not moving freely.

Moving the selector when the blower is on high speed does add resistance to the door movement but normally not enough to cause the arm to fail.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
When I broke my defrost lever I just used a screw to rejoin the parts and it has been working fine for years since the repair. Aside from popping out occasionally as I had to pull it out to repair it breaking the retaining tab. It's rare that it does pop out but it's easy enough to get back in by pushing on it as I operate the vent position. If it bothered me enough I'd try some thread locking compound on the splines or something similar.

I broke mine as I changed vent positions with the fan on either the three or four speed setting. Since then, if I have the fan on fast, I turn the fan down to one, change settings, then turn the fan back up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I've got one ordered and I'm going to try strengthening it. I'll never remember to turn my fan down before I change settings! :geek:

BTW BlueFl.Wrangler, I do make a living at it. (y) Been a mechanical engineer and PLM admin for 26 years now. My drawing are usually a little more detailed than the one above tho. :)

Thanks,
Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts