Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, guys. Coming from ZJ camp, I've managed to get a WJ. Not that I don't like ZJs anymore, but always wanted to have WJ also. Saw this super nice 2001 4.7L Laredo with heated seats no rust. Wouldn't choose that color, but heck, everything else is nice. So I just had to have it. Engine purrs, everything works and only 150k on it. Was pretty happy with purchase. However, on my way home rear left caliper got stuck. Stuck GOOD, to the point that brake pads started to smoke and rim was pretty hot. so, I've stopped let it cool off, managed to get home. This should be easy weekend brake job i thought. Oh, how wrong I was:) Bought the parts, brought jeep into the shop, took tires off, put the thing on stands. Took calipers off, and tried to take rotors off... Now, rear rotors would ALWAYS get stuck with that rust for me. But this time they came off way too easy... I took them off and see everything is greasy. Like super greasy. Manual brake was really well lubricated:) So, I was like heck, the rear axle seal is shot. Ok, fine, took the axles out, brought them to shop to get the new bearings, seals and press that retaining ring. So far so good. But here is started to get idiotic. I brought axles back. Trying to reinstall them and... Left axle shaft goes in just fine as it should, the right one would not go all the way in! like half inch and it would hit the wall. Would even make that loud metallic CLING sound. And no, I didn't mix the shafts, shorter one goes on the right side, but to make sure I even swapped them. Both go in on the left, none would go in all the way on the right side. Ok, fine I was going to change diff fluid anyway, decided to take cover off and see wtf. the shaft would not go into side gear all the way, like half inch would be left and wouldn't engage with splines. So, ok, I decided to take out side gears and see what's causing it not go all the way in. I've changed axle shafts before (although on ZJ) took out and put back side gears/spider gears. should be easy, should be similar thing, right? Wrong! Starting to unscrewing that bolt that holds that cross pin... It was tight, but not overly tight, similar to what I've experienced with ZJ. but then... the bolt came out much shorter. like really short. I've looked at it and oh shi... The bolt was broken, I guess someone had tightened it or something?
Auto part Metal Monochrome photography Fastener Monochrome

Majority is still in the carrier. The rest of the bolt is quite deep inside... so... this brings the question: what should I do? I guess now I have to take entire carrier out which I have not done. The previous owner had no idea seals were busted and drove with low gear oil level in the diff, so when I took the cover off, that magnet is covered with shavings. But teeth of the gears still look good. Anyway, new carrier/side gears/spider gears are in order?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those break sometimes because the center pin moves a little and eventually snaps it off. before abusing it start by cleaning the hole with brake cleaner and try working it out with a pick. your patience may be rewarded

Oh, wow! thanks, man! I will try that later today

If he's that lucky, it would truly be his day. Nothing to lose, right?
Absolutely. I guess worst case I'll have to either extract the carrier or replace whole axle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts